Gretsch snare question

jsp210

Reaction score
I just picked up a recent edition 5.5x14 Broadkaster wood snare and am having trouble getting the snare wires to behave. They are the stock Gretsch 20 strand wires and no matter how I tune and adjust the tension on the wires there is always extraneous wire action going on. I haven't encountered such difficulty dialing in a snare drum before. I'm wondering if it may be an 8 lug, 3-ply, rounded bearing edge thing that I'm not accustomed to.

The wires appear brand new and evenly aligned. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can't say, but I've really dug the sound of all the Gretsch snare drums I've owned, the 4160 I had was awesome. It had a Ludwig set of wires, though!

Iristone

Reaction score
Might be Gretsch's relatively deep snare bed. My Ludwig Legacy with 3-ply and rounded edges, ... well I think I should quit bragging about it all the time. :wink: OTOH my RB Gretsch (6-ply, sharp 30° edges) used to sometimes have some of that but I think it's all set now. That deep snare bed could do some more tension (higher tuning) for the head to conform. Also I found nylon cords instead of white plastic straps conform better to the edge as well, giving a more even snare response.

Iristone

Reaction score
Can't say, but I've really dug the sound of all the Gretsch snare drums I've owned, the 4160 I had was awesome. It had a Ludwig set of wires, though!
I love that Ludwig set of wires (made by Dixon instead of Gibraltar, I believe) on my Ludwig drum! Almost looks like a poor man's Fat Cat pitched, or Puresound Custom Pro, set of wires. I like Canopus Vintage wires too, maybe the OP could give these a shot too, in place of the stock Gretsch/Gibraltar wires. :thumbup:

jsp210

Reaction score
Replacing the wires was my next move but wanted to first mine the expertise here on the forum. I've heard great things about the Canopus vintage and also thought the Puresound Equalizer design might be worth a shot.

Iristone

Reaction score
Does it come with nylon cords or plastic straps to attach the wires?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe your ears just aren't accustom to such an alive drum Yet..
I find as soon as you start playing...it's over..(ya know ; ) in a good way ; )
Sounds nice
you'll dial it in and bond...as time goes on
I wouldn't take anything apart, spend another penney, etc.

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Reaction score
It may be the strainer. I've had limited exposure to it, but I hate it. Like the way Yosemite Sam Hates Bugs Bunny. We're talking a strong level of hate here.

1581694243584.png

If you try to pull the snares tighter, be careful when you loosen the plates. It's a bitch to get back there, especially with the mylar straps. And the tension side comes right off if you turn it too much, so beware. If you're looking to tug the straps tighter, I advice doing it on the throw-off end. Go slow and be patient.

jsp210

Reaction score
Maybe your ears just aren't accustom to such an alive drum Yet..
I find as soon as you start playing...it's over..(ya know ; ) in a good way ; )
Well I'm going to give it a go on a gig tomorrow to get a better read on things before modifying wires...etc.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well I'm going to give it a go on a gig tomorrow to get a better read on things before modifying wires...etc.
Yes. You've spent the money. Have the drum begin paying you back.. It will settle in to you

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with the suggestions on trying the nylon wires VS plastic straps (or even ribbons for that matter) some snare wires seem to work better with the wires. It moves the tensioning more to the outer edges of the wires VS pulling from the center. I'd try that before spending money on new wires. I was having this same issue with my Pearl Sensitone last month and gave it a shot and it eliminated the problem.

Also, be careful to observe how evenly you have the wires set and how it looks once tensioned.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
"snare preference" is a manufactured 'thing'. Use what they came with.
once you 'think' there 'isn't any choice' everything works out..
Once you start thinking 'choices' you run around in circles
and sometimes end up where you began 100$ poorer