header.nohb.html

Gretsch Solid Maple Snare

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Not really finding too much info on these.

When I listen online to the Gretsch Solid Maple, I love how it gives something quite different from Noble & Cooley's Solid Maple, which I also adore. Presumably this is largely due to Gretsch's 30 degree edge versus N&C's 45. They both have a strong, beautiful identity, different from the other.

Anyone know how long Gretsch has offered these, perhaps as different iterations over the years? Anyone know who steambends them for Gretsch? With these specs, how do they differ in sound from a Radio King? Anyone know if Gretsch will wrap these?

Again, I don't find much experiential reporting on them.

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've got a Gretsch Solid Walnut and I have played the Solid Maple drums. They are all very nice. I would say that the Gretsch leans more towards the Radio King in terms of tone due to the 30 degree bearing edges, which the Radio Kings also have. The die cast hoops give the drum a bit more bite, which I like personally. You can't go wrong with one.
I also love the N&C offerings, but they definitely have a bit more bite. Also great drums!

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played a Gretsch Solid Maple for the first time at the DW/Gretsch booth at the Chicago Drum Show in May of 2019. I picked one up in July of that year. I believe that it was introduced at the 2018 NAMM show, but I'm not positive.

I have a 7" deep Noble & Cooley SS Maple with die cast hoops, and a Nashville Radio King with die cast hoops as well as a bunch of other steam bent maple shell snares. I agree with Treviso1 that the Gretsch Solid Maple sounds more like my Radio Kings than it does my N & C or my DW/Craviotto snares for that matter.

The Gretsch Solid maple doesn't get a lot of press, it is a great snare.

1660782444286.png

My Noble & Cooley

1660782536512.png

Here is my 1990s Nashville era Slingerland Super Radio King. (I believe that they called the version with the die cast hoops the "Super" during this time frame.)

1660782726739.png

And since I brought it up, here is my 2003 DW/Craviotto Flamed Maple.

1660782816841.png

I have another twelve solid shell snare drums.

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, those are beautiful drums folks! Are they all in the solid shell thread, if not please add them in!!!

SaranacJack

Reaction score
I have an older one for sale here, the Stanton Moore model:

It’s fantastic, just doesn’t get enough play time

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
What is snare bite?
Really? No clue?
Snare bite=sharper tone, sharper crack, more pronounced sharper note resulting from having a sharper, more pointed bearing edge as opposed to the note produced from having a rounder 30 degree bearing edge (rounder note, more body, less crack...producing the "doom" sound with the snares in the OFF position (more like a conga or doumbek) as opposed to the "tick" sound that some drums produce. I hope this helps you.
N&C drums do have a sharper 45 Degree bearing edge and that tends to make the note a bit sharper, but that solid shell does fatten the tone tremendously producing a ton of body. I like N&C snares in the original set up from the 80s, with die cast hoops. To me, that is how those drums were originally designed to be and that sound hits me just right. Of course, it's a matter of taste and some people just prefer triple flanged hoops on snares. Having played Gretsch drums for the better part of 40 years, I just have a love for die cast hoops in general. I love Gretsch drums with N&C SS snare drums...die cast hoops on everything!