gretsch ssb 1 finish

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
this is the first time i ever saw this wrap finish. anyone know if its a gretsch factory finish.

Attachments

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
thank you
i remember the chrome finish being somewhat popular in that era, but i remember it always bright and polished like a 4160 snare drum

this finish is much more dull and not brilliant almost like it matched their aluminim snare drums of that time 4106, 08, 09
in any event it must have had a short production run as this is the first time i have ever saw it.

i just checked a gretsch 1970 color chart, it was named chrome steel, which had more shine.
in the 71 book above it was chrome nitron with less shine. so they changed the finish. from one year to the next

thanks again

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
There definitely were lots of wild uncatalogued Gretsch finishes in the early 70’s, but what’s inside of the floor tom? That chewed badge and no bottom lugs could also have me believing it’s a rewrap, but closer look is needed.

Another member here has a white oyster 26” SSB bass, how many of those could they have ever made?

Like all old drum stuff, nothing is impossible, nothing is guaranteed. It’s all a big rainbow of “maybe”?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looks factory. Looks like you'll need an Orbital buffer and #6 Compound too.

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
not my drums.
i came across them on a facebook gretsch group. owner in italy was looking for info.
il pass it on, thanks

what stood out is the floor tom has no lower lugs or lug holes that i can see.
hard to imagine a factory order like that, or perhaps someone added lugs later on just to rack tom.