header.nohb.html

Gretsch SSB USA custom?

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here it is! After a lot of work, parts and waiting. Big thanks to @DBT for helping me out with lugs for the BD and 16” after a messy situation! And @1988fxlr for the Tom mount!

PSA: Evaporust works great for cleaning chrome. DO NOT substitute another product especially Rust-Oleaum rust dissolver, which ate up the lugs off my BD and 16.

Again huge thanks to Dan for helping out throughout the restore.

This kit sounds fantastic and I’m falling in love with it more and more every time I play it!

GRETSCH>All&Everything

Last edited:

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
9720886A-9623-4E24-A4B6-228F4A1A0021.jpeg
8C8911A8-B5D0-4771-BC1D-FC1CE813C551.jpeg
04E4DF19-452B-4D8D-9C65-A5355A0E0451.jpeg
20EDE975-E3CF-47F4-A6A4-B0C2A509C399.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I got one problem with them.

(no not the hoops they came out fine...)

The front head
(belongs on a 21st century G set
OTHER THAN THAT
:laughing9:

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got one problem with them.

(no not the hoops they came out fine...)

The front head
(belongs on a 21st century G set
OTHER THAN THAT
:laughing9:
(‍Shoulder shrug) oh well I dig it. The hoops are what came on the kit, I’ll find another hoop with an inlay channel and some inlay a little further down the road

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pratt muffler on the BD. Snatched up a few original T rods and claws, still have 4 Ludwig claws and rods I’ll change whenever I find some cheap Gretsch originals

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I didn't even notice the hoops (I was referring to my Blonde vote getting voted down)
The hoops are what came on the kit, I’ll find another hoop with an inlay channel and some inlay a little further down the road
I said the Front Fiberskn head
You totally missed my Yoke/joke.. :sad:

but I just noticed the back hoop now that you mentioned

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig 14x8 Classic Oak/Maple hybrid snare sits with it nicely. It’s my one workhorse snare, I find myself having a snare shortage spread between 2 kits at home and 1 at rehearsal space

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't even notice the hoops (I was referring to my Blonde vote getting voted down)

I said the Front Fiberskn head
You totally missed my Yoke/joke.. :sad:

but I just noticed the back hoop now that you mentioned
I thought about black hoops to tie in with my snare, ordered Gibraltar hoops thinking they were satin and they were gloss so I returned them.

Didn’t match at all. If they had been satin I think it would have looked slick with the satin black snare

Reactions: DBT

CKV

Reaction score
Wow glad you bought those so I didn’t have to - I’m near Knoxville a few hours west, was about to head over there! You’ve simplified my life. Enjoy them!

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, those turned out really nice! How do they sound? Do they tune up OK? Heads fit OK?
They sound great! Tuned up perfect! I got classic fit for the 12 and 16 and they fit no problem.

When I ordered the BD heads all that were available were regular size. But I managed to cut the collar and get a coated P3 and Fiberskyn reso. I will admit they don’t seat 100% on each head there are 2 areas it could be tighter against the bearing edge.

The bass drum sounds amazing still despite that. In fact changing the heads over improved the BD 100% compared to the Clear pinstripe batter/ebony reso that was on it originally. I really fell in love with the kick after switching those heads over, it came to life!

Looks better too. Here is a one from when I first got the kit set back up but was still waiting on Heads and cymbal mount

5AD58799-DC05-4669-8C7E-520D310D07C1.jpeg

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I have a coated ps3 batter and fiberskyn diplomat reso on my mid 60’s 20” round badge kit, both classic fit and I’m not digging the sound!
How do you have yours tuned?
It sounded better with the super tight original Gretsch logo reso head with a felt strip.