header.nohb.html

Gretsch SSB USA custom?

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, I have a coated ps3 batter and fiberskyn diplomat reso on my mid 60’s 20” round badge kit, both classic fit and I’m not digging the sound!
How do you have yours tuned?
It sounded better with the super tight original Gretsch logo reso head with a felt strip.
I cranked everything down to get it to seat the best I could then backed off. Using a drum dial the front head I got to an even 85, then the back was around 82.

I seems crazy high but it maintains the low end and has that punch you would want out of a 20”

No pillows or anything, just the Pratt. I think it sounds better wide open tho

It makes my 22” Brooklyn sound like a flavorless thud with no life to it

Last edited:

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, I have a coated ps3 batter and fiberskyn diplomat reso on my mid 60’s 20” round badge kit, both classic fit and I’m not digging the sound!
It sounded better with the super tight original Gretsch logo reso head with a felt strip.
Do you bury the beater? This kick sounds a lot better when I let the beater bounce back.

I am used to burying it personally so I’m learning to adjust to how this drum needs played

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If it helps, I had issues with the BD drum staying in tune with the collars cut on the Fiberskyn and PS3. Ended up putting a clear PS3 and coated ambassador both classic fit and it sounds great

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Figured I would post these since the kit is complete now!

Scored a RB snare to match from @KCDrumDad

I am going to take the snare apart and clean it up soon. But here she is with the rest of the kit

Attachments

• 24EEECAD-1A0D-4B8F-B4C1-EC4F11D673E6.jpeg
    24EEECAD-1A0D-4B8F-B4C1-EC4F11D673E6.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 33
  • CECDE1CA-5791-4AC2-A93B-811E1E016CD6.jpeg
    CECDE1CA-5791-4AC2-A93B-811E1E016CD6.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 31
  • F11A0C9D-CD32-4282-AB14-6DBC2BFCEE4E.jpeg
    F11A0C9D-CD32-4282-AB14-6DBC2BFCEE4E.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 33

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful drums!
Nice job.

Have you been liking how they play?
I love how they play! In fact they are all I play anymore. The only time I touch my Brooklyns is when this kit is still in cases from a gig.

Switching from a 22x18 ported bass drum to 20x14 no port has been the biggest factory. I’ve had to retrain myself not to bury the beater but also to catch the pedal from too much bounce back. It has taken some time but I’ve got it down now.

I absolutely love this kit though

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I love how they play! In fact they are all I play anymore. The only time I touch my Brooklyns is when this kit is still in cases from a gig.

Switching from a 22x18 ported bass drum to 20x14 no port has been the biggest factory. I’ve had to retrain myself not to bury the beater but also to catch the pedal from too much bounce back. It has taken some time but I’ve got it down now.

I absolutely love this kit though
Wait til you move to an 18. Just slap the heads on and tension them. No pillows inside or material stretched across the head. You won't need them any more. Lovin' both of mine.