Gretsch stop signs

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Also, I have jazz size 60s drums, tuned pretty high.
Can you tune these a bit lower? I've heard they have a narrow tuning range but I'd like to use them for heavy rock/metal.

tillerva

Reaction score
Well, I'll pick them up today and see how it goes!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not any great difference between these and the earlier drums, same shells from Jasper. Head fitment is a bit better on the unwrapped stained shells. Some evolutionary changes to how the edges were cut but otherwise basically the same drums made from the same parts, but in a different factory, in a different state, by different people than the Round Badge drums. Different badge, and a vent added to the toms, perhaps the era of Gretsch's crappiest mounting hardware, depending on what's on there.

tillerva

Reaction score
Thanks KO. Any thoughts on tuning range? I'm going to try Emperor's on them.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
My only SSB set is a very early wrapped (tangerine sparkle!) example. I happen to use that set for rock playing and have smooth white emperors on the toms and they sound great tuned down low to me. I have used my various USA Custom sets, which are all stained drums (burnt orange) similar to the one you pictured but made later (still mostly all Jasper made shells) tuned very low, maybe too low, also with smooth white emperors, with good results. No dedicated sound files but here they are in action a few years back. If you use headphones or have good speakers you can hear the toms pretty well near the end of the song. I would assume the drums you are asking about should have a similar tuning range.

tillerva

Reaction score
Nice, that's looks like a fun gig! Appreciate it.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
My one SSB drum has the exact same degree of head-fitting tightness as my various RB’s. The best fitting heads are the Remo Classic Fit, and the best sounding IMO are Aquarian TC Super 2 or Focus X models. I don’t like the fit or the sound of the Aquarian American Vintage models on these tubs.

tillerva

Reaction score
Picked the drums up yesterday. Pretty nice shape with what I guess is the original walnut stain, aside from some glaring extra holes. I'll get some pics up later on. $300 I figured was reasonable.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice score man! I do t know much about Gretsch, but those look sweet! I'm excited to see your pics. What are the sizes? How do the edges look? Did you get new heads?

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
$300 for ANY U.S.-made vintage kit that's not falling to pieces is a no-brainer - I'd have whipped my wallet out so fast it burned my fingers.

I've got a bunch of these with Emperor's on them, tuned as low as possible. It's trickier to get real low w/cast hoops since they can basically get all the wrinkles out with only 2 lugs, I've had to go up 1/8-1/4 turn at a time and even then they're finicky. Pays to tune up higher, smoosh the head a couple times, and start again. Sound real nice and growly, though.

I actually have really liked the Aquarian Vintages I've used, though I haven't tried the lighter ones. They're warmer, deader-in-a-way-I-like heavy-ish Ambassadors. And extremely durable.
But I can understand if they're not everybody's jam, and a bit pricey. Which is fine if you really like something, and very annoying if you don't.

Latest posts