Gretsch Swamp Dawg

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
Does anyone have an experience playing a Gretsch swamp dawg snare?

I currently play a 14x8 Ludwig black oak/maple hybrid and love it.

It’s snaps, is super sensitive and has that great deep tone.

But Im playing a Gretsch Brooklyn satin mahogany kit now and I thought the swamp dawg would be a close match as far as shell Color.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
Yeah I know it won’t match exactly. But from a distance...

I really like 14x8. Would order a Brooklyn to match but they don’t offer that size in a Brooklyn

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Be close but not same; (I'd check color codes/names) member owns one here
@DrummerJustLikeDad has one I think..)
Ha, Funny you should mention that.

I actually do NOT own one, but as JDA knows, I've really wanted a Gretsch Swamp Dawg for a long time. Lately, I've been thinking about them even more, and then along comes this thread.

My wife was sitting next to me as I read JDA's comment, which in turn, finally led to my having the Swamp Dawg conversation with my amazing wife, and it went easier than I thought it might. I'm finally getting one!

So yeah, that's kind of weird. Thanks JDA for facilitating the Gretsch Swamp Dawg conversation in my marriage. It was just the push I needed!

Review forthcoming :cool:

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played a few gigs with a Swamp Dawg, and despite the way it's marketed I thought it sounded better tuned up a bit.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Anyone else wants me to Go thru their wives To Facilliatate a Gear Purchase I'll glad do it Drop me a Line!!! :::

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
I played a few gigs with a Swamp Dawg, and despite the way it's marketed I thought it sounded better tuned up a bit.
Nice. I crank my Ludwig up high and it has a great tone. I get compliments on it from other drummers almost every gig.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
Ha, Funny you should mention that.

I actually do NOT own one, but as JDA knows, I've really wanted a Gretsch Swamp Dawg for a long time. Lately, I've been thinking about them even more, and then along comes this thread.

My wife was sitting next to me as I read JDA's comment, which in turn, finally led to my having the Swamp Dawg conversation with my amazing wife, and it went easier than I thought it might. I'm finally getting one!

So yeah, that's kind of weird. Thanks JDA for facilitating the Gretsch Swamp Dawg conversation in my marriage. It was just the push I needed!

Review forthcoming :cool:
Ever get your swamp dawg?

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Ever get your swamp dawg?
Actually, not yet. My most recent drum purchase before this was also a snare, which got me thinking maybe this time around it's finally time to get me a fine piece of Turkish, hand-hammered Nirvana. (A bit like Turkish delight. Just as sweet and chewy, but sounds better when you smack it with a stick.)

Once that prospect opened up, I've become a bit like the kid in the candy store, tickling my ear with all kinds of tasty options, and well...everything is turning my head at the moment.

Still deciding! :happy3: