Gretsch tag missing.

Boscoe

Reaction score
I have a 60's (I think) Gretsch Floor Show model 6.5x14 snare that is in unrestored condition having to replace only the snare lever and snares. When I got it (for a song) I checked all the usual items that make it a real Gretsch. It has the silver paint inside but no paper tag and no evidence of one. Like no glue or shadow of a tag. Has anybody else run across this? I'm not a Gretsch guy, in fact this is my only Gretsch drum. If it should be there how does this affect value? Any help would be appreciated. :occasion5:

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Without evidence of an interior label, your drum was produced pre-1960. Right at the turn of the decade, Gretsch started using interior labels as to comply with the government's requirements on retail goods.

What does the butt end look like, a 4pt mount or a single point mount?

Is the shell a 3ply or 6ply?

Do the hoops have straight edges or is there a rounded bead?

The answer to these questions will help to determine a closer production age of your drum.

Boscoe

Reaction score
See, I knew I'd get some answers. I can answer some of your questions but I'll have to have the drum to answer the rest. The hoops are straight no rounded bead but cast. The butt end has a threaded adjustment with thumb screw that I would call a single point. I'll have to check the shell plys. The strainer is the type that has the throw off lever that gets broken. (don't know the model name) It has a round knob muffler but don't recall the inside part. Hope this helps. I'll look at the drum tonight and post the results. Thanks again for the help.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your drum is a 3ply Brooklyn made Floor Show model. Microsensitive throw-off, single point adjustable butt, stickchopper hoops. It was likely manufactured between 1954 and 1957.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your drum is a 3ply Brooklyn made Floor Show model. Microsensitive throw-off, single point adjustable butt, stickchopper hoops. It was likely manufactured between 1954 and 1957.
Hang on SpongeBob. I know you know far more than I do about these, but it could still be a 6-ply. I've had plenty (ok, only 4) of Gretsch snares that were silver sealed, sans tag, sans key holder, with stick choppers, Micro and a single point (i.e. full 50's dress) that were 6 ply shells. The stripped shell I have the poll thread going for and the Floor Show model in my avatar are examples. I sold the two Name Band snares (both WMP btw) that I had after talking to Steve Maxwell way back before I was involved at DFO and having him verify that this combo did exist, but wasn't especially rare enough to warrant hanging onto in favor of something else I might like better.

Let us know what you find out Boscoe!!

Boscoe

Reaction score
It is a six ply. Two of the plys look darker (mahogany?)the others are lighter. (maple?) Was it still made between 1954 and 1957? This is great info guys, thanks.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
If it is indeed a 6 ply shell then the drum would have been made in the 1957-1959/60 range

Latest posts