Gretsch Taylor Hawkins Snare?

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
I may consider picking one up. I have always loved the Foo snare sound, and I don't have a deep 14"er. at the moment. I realize that a lot of the tone is tuning/heads/wires, etc. But at $150, would it be a decent go?

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had one, they are solid snares, plenty of volume on tap if needed. A steel 6.5" shell, nickel plated, 10 lug, 2.3mm hoops I think, and built well. If the heads are in good shape, wires also, then I think that is a fair price.

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
I had one, they are solid snares, plenty of volume on tap if needed. A steel 6.5" shell, nickel plated, 10 lug, 2.3mm hoops I think, and built well. If the heads are in good shape, wires also, then I think that is a fair price.
Thanks, I will think about it and see if he bites at the right offer or even if I need another snare.

Somehow I have a gut feeling that I will end up with one. (G. A. S.)

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Trying to match a studio snare sound by buying the snare that was "used" on the album is a fools errand, IMO. Even if the drummer actually played that exact snare, it's not like you have the same mics, EQ, compression, reverb, and the same sample the engineer layered on top of it.

Now, if you heard it live, some of the above still matters, but you're in a much better place to get the sound you're looking for.

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
Trying to match a studio snare sound by buying the snare that was "used" on the album is a fools errand, IMO. Even if the drummer actually played that exact snare, it's not like you have the same mics, EQ, compression, reverb, and the same sample the engineer layered on top of it.

Now, if you heard it live, some of the above still matters, but you're in a much better place to get the sound you're looking for.
I understand that, and realize the foolishness of the concept. I ran sound for many years at a church that I attended with 12-16 mics on a drum set. I know how crazy that stuff gets.

I like the live tones I hear.

Either way if I end up with one, I will holler back and let you know.

Also, the specs on paper look good to me anyways. What is a bill and a half in the big game.

bubo

Reaction score
The snare Hawkins uses live and a lot in the studio is the Gretsch USA Bell Brass with the 3mm shell.

Great snare.

Halldor and Trilok_Gurtu are absolutely right, the signature model advertised is far from what´s really been used.

Apart from the Gretsch Bell-Brass Halldor mentioned, lots of the Foo Fighters records (the last 3 or 4 ones) been recorded with a Tama Bell-Brass snare as you can clearly see in videos about the recordings!

The "official" signature snare is quite affordable, probably sounds good too, but it´s not THE snare, keep that in mind.
It´s just released to get the $ running from mostly younger kids that are eager to play their idols stuff so it must be affordable to them thus must be produced at even lower cost -marketing as usual...

Just want to add: Even if you got that exact snare been used for this or that song or record, it will sound different if it´s not Taylor Hawkins himself playing it -

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is a fine looking drum! Dang!
It is and a great sounding drum. I have one and it is really an amazing drum. Very versatile, sensitive with no volume threshold. You can use it for any musical style really. I strongly reccommend it if you have the $$$. I would save up rather than buying the signature drum.

Here’s mine:

D4BD04A3-4B5B-4B6C-92A5-E74E541DC9D7.jpeg

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
I fear I am coming across wrong. I know I don't have his hands, and technique and the same setup. And not the same snare, and am not chasing a name tag as the end all be all.

I love that snare halldorl, she is a beauty.

If I end up with the sig snare, and like it, that is great, spec wise, it fills a gap for me that I don't have at the moment. I don't have a deep steel 14"er which is partially why I looked into it. Not gonna lie I love the recorded sound of the real deal too live and studio.

We will see how it goes if it does.

Is there a better general 14"x6.5+"er in the price range? Dub $150 used?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I traded mine to El Larry (above!)........it didn't work for jazz. Decent metal snare for rock, though, and a good price.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I had a teacher who had one that we used for my lessons so played it quite a bit, it’s a very good snare for $150.

Comparing this $200 steel snare and a $1000 bell brass is apples to oranges, completely different animals. Of course the $1k snare sounds good, but you can get in the ballpark of his sound with a good steel drum tuned we’ll.

If you like a deep-ish steel snare, the Taylor Hawkins is a cool snare. I liked it cranked up, has a nice crack to it. Another couple you might look at around $200 are the Tama SLP Big Black Steel and the Ludwig Supralite - 14x8 is the latest thing, all the cool kids are doing it. It IS a deep, big sound... sounds good with some dampening too, like a big fat booosh.

If Gretsch is your thing, for a few bucks more you can get a Brooklyn steel snare. Nice drums. 13x7 is $249 (my favorite drum size), and 14x6.5 is $269. Both are thick 2mm shells and come with 302 double flanged hoops, fantastic hoops and great looking. Treat yourself, it’s the holidays.

Latest posts