Gretsch Taylor Hawkins Snare?

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This Taylor Hawkins snare reminds me of the Chad Smith steel Pearl snare. People are quick to point out he doesn't use it (true), but it's a great way to get the vibe for a quarter of the price. A cool thing about the Hawkins snare is it comes with Remo USA heads, Emporer X on top, so there's an "upgrade" right out of the box. I can't find it now, but I saw an interview with Taylor when it came out and he explicitly said it was aimed at young drummers who wanted a good rock snare that was a step up from a beginner drum yet still widely affordable.
As an aside, it appears the Gretsch black nickel over steel snare is the same drum without the TH badge. I'm not sure what heads it ships with but there was a price drop with the badge change. https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/gretsch-drums-black-nickel-over-steel-snare-drum/l00685000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw4jvBRCJARIsAHYewPO0S21WF4lTp9piShlIT4smDdDrVPPxP4Y1M1lvnw22ndbp1t5ZTVsaAqRmEALw_wcB#productDetail

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
This Taylor Hawkins snare reminds me of the Chad Smith steel Pearl snare. People are quick to point out he doesn't use it (true), but it's a great way to get the vibe for a quarter of the price. A cool thing about the Hawkins snare is it comes with Remo USA heads, Emporer X on top, so there's an "upgrade" right out of the box. I can't find it now, but I saw an interview with Taylor when it came out and he explicitly said it was aimed at young drummers who wanted a good rock snare that was a step up from a beginner drum yet still widely affordable.
As an aside, it appears the Gretsch black nickel over steel snare is the same drum without the TH badge. I'm not sure what heads it ships with but there was a price drop with the badge change
Good to know. I am going to pass in favor of something else. Probably for a few bucks more I can find something better. Likely a gretsch Brooklyn.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like someone already mentioned, the Brooklyn steel snares are a great value at $250-ish new or 200 used. With 302 hoops, Lightning throwoff, and a 2mm shell they rival much more expensive drums in build quality but you get the cost savings of steel.

Drm1979

Reaction score
The snare Hawkins uses live and a lot in the studio is the Gretsch USA Bell Brass with the 3mm shell.

Great snare.

View attachment 417823
Bell brass snares just have a remarkable sound to my ears. Brad wilk used one for all the audioslave recordings and I think the last 2 rage against the machine records. If only they were not $600 a piece. I just dont play enough to justify that large of a purchase.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bell brass snares just have a remarkable sound to my ears. Brad wilk used one for all the audioslave recordings and I think the last 2 rage against the machine records. If only they were not $600 a piece. I just dont play enough to justify that large of a purchase.
$600? I think you are lucky if you find one that “cheap”

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gretsch had 4 competing bell brass snares a couple of years ago: the USA, the Gold Series, Brooklyn, and the Full Range. As far as I could tell then, they were all the same shell, with the only differences being the hardware used...and the prices.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
I actually need a deep 13" and a deep 14" the Brooklyn looks good for the 14"x6.5" for the 13"x7" I miss the pork pie I had. I am open to recommendations for a 13"x7" too. I won't snag both at once, but will see what I end up stumbling upon.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you like the look, the Pork Pie patina brass 13x7 can be had under $200 used. Any of the Little Squealer line is a great value.

Latest posts