Gretsch USA Custom hypothetical finish question / idea

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was fantasizing a bit about ordering a Gretsch USA custom in my favorite finish, ebony gloss.
Instead of having silver paint on the inside, wouldn't it be cool to have the inside finished in the same ebony gloss?
I always loved the way Sonor, Tama Star, Mapex Saturns had the inside finished, so was just thinking out loud...

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that idea.
I’m not a card carrying member of the Church of Silver Sealer, though I do appreciate a few of the sermons.
If I were to order another new kit, I believe I’d ask for this.
Great idea.

I did own a Tama kit years back that utilized this method.
It was the same finish inside and out.
Cool look … and until you mentioned it, a forgotten piece of my mind.

IMG_2908.JPG

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
just like 1982 Tama (aquamarine Superstars I had) No.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Tama looks amazing!

I am sure it is possible and they may do it if you requested and paid. Didn't they have a series a few years back where the outside was Silver Seal and the inside had a finish? It wasn't my thing but they obviously can do that......

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a few local drummer friends that work at Gretsch. I just sent one a message...Will update if he gets back to me.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a few local drummer friends that work at Gretsch. I just sent one a message...Will update if he gets back to me.
He got back to me...he said they don't (not won't) do it as it would change the sound.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pearl would probably entertain (they look like Gretsch anyway) Nice Masters Dark Purple outside light inside...

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd suspect that they consider the silver sealer too much a part of the Gretsch legacy/mythology to do top tier drums without it.

I'm sure they could do it easily enough but if they accomodate one person's desires in that way and word spreads suddenly you have 100 people asking for the same treatment and you've created a new production bottleneck that slows things down as they have to keep track of what shell gets what interior and so forth.

What they could do is have a USA Super Custom line with it's own badge and/or interior sticker where they'll do anything you want...but then charge an even bigger markup for the custom services.

A dealer with enough pull, like Steve Maxwell, might be able to get something like that done. But then you'd always be trying to explain them to other drummers..."Gretsch never did that, those can't be factory" . Without specific documentation they might be tough to sell down the road.