Gretsch USA custom- questions

Louis mate

Reaction score
So I got the opportunity to pick up a gretsch USA custom in a satin finish for $2,200 Canadian. (Any of you Canadians out there will know how expensive drum kits have been in this country the last 6-7 years). It was one owner, didn’t leave the basement, and in mint condition. It has a 22x18, 10x8,12x9, 13x10 rack toms, and 16x14 floor. It also comes with a pearl rack and Gibraltar hardware to mount the toms. I don’t know a lot about these kits but this seems like a killer deal. Thoughts?

This is the link here. Love to hear what you guys have to say about it

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure they're USA Custom with those "mounts to lug" unless they're up dated or I'm behind the tymes.....
well guess they are just not traditional (in my mind/brain..

i don't see --not used to--- seeing them w/that (type of) mount (more the ^&* import renown style of mount) :

(see gallery)
it's a big room set that's for sure (!

Last edited:

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are the Renown mounts but they fit on the USAs just fine. I've seen Mike Johnston and others specify them instead of the RIMS-style mounts.
Gorgeous drums there, Louis mate! I'd say you got a really good deal on some awesome drums!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You definitely got a great deal on those USA Custom drums! They are well built with excellent craftsmanship. Enjoy!

-Mark

Louis mate

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far guys! I was thinking the same thing, but always nice to have confirmation :). The thing that’s gets me really excited, is that I have the option of any setup. 13,16 for a loud big kit type gig, or a 10,12,16 for anything under the sun. A lot of versatility with these shells. And who knows; maybe their is some magic fairy dust in these shells and some of vinnie’s Powers will transfer onto me lol

Louis mate

Reaction score
Well I got them! My goodness I’ve never heard a set of drums sing like these. Sooo much resonance and tone. I can put 4 moongels on the toms and they still resonate more so than any other kit I’ve played, it’s quite unreal. The best part? Finally found a 12 inch tom that sounds good to my ears. Amazing in fact.

I was notorious for hating on 12’s so this is a big surprise for me. I think because the drums resonate so much, it’s finally the sound I’ve been wanting out of a 12 and never got with a cheaper kit. Here’s a couple pictures of them. Hard to do the finish justice without proper lighting, it looks quite nice in person.

Attachments

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is a great kit and a nice deal! Enjoy them! I once had a vintage Rosewood Gretsch USA kit that sounded outstanding but only had 13", 16" and 22" so I flipped and made a nice amount. Would've been great to keep that one.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
get that Moongel off and control the tone and sustain with your hands . That's what (real) Gretsch are all about !

prplx

Reaction score
Those are the Renown mounts but they fit on the USAs just fine. I've seen Mike Johnston and others specify them instead of the RIMS-style mounts.
Gorgeous drums there, Louis mate! I'd say you got a really good deal on some awesome drums!
I had the same on my New Classic kit.

Louis mate

Reaction score
get that Moongel off and control the tone and sustain with your hands . That's what (real) Gretsch are all about !
I just threw 4 on to test them and see just how much tone came through. I find 2 moongel to be perfect with the heads that are on them. They have coated pinstripes which I’m not huge on. Any head suggestion for these kits? Usually I would say clear emperor for most kits but I dunno that those are the right fit for these.

Louis mate

Reaction score
I had the same on my New Classic kit.
I find these mounts to be quite awesome comparing with other brands. They freely float quite nicely, and of course there is no shortage of resonance or tone, so as long as the build quality holds up, I feel they’re good to go.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
head suggestion for these kits
Coated Ambys..top & bottom ..and then sing! You can always 'tamp down' sustain-by 'catching a bit of the rim' (or not) in your hits to control sustain, ...it's the gretsch way! Rimshot the toms! the audience/crowd/everyone will go nutz or hit / play/ them without rimshot; you have the variance available to adjust. (clear bottoms if that's what you have on hand) What's the depth on those toms I didn't get that/

Last edited:

Louis mate

Reaction score
Coated Ambys..top & bottom ..and then sing! You can always 'tamp down' sustain-by 'catching a bit of the rim' (or not) in your hits to control sustain, ...it's the gretsch way! Rimshot the toms! the audience/crowd/everyone will go nutz or hit / play/ them without rimshot; you have the variance available to adjust. (clear bottoms if that's what you have on hand) What's the depth on those toms I didn't get that/
10x8, 12x9, 13x10, 16x14. They sing! My only concern is I’m a heavy hitter so I’ve always stayed away from single ply. Any good 2 ply options? What about remo vintage emperor?

Reactions: JDA

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The best part? Finally found a 12 inch tom that sounds good to my ears. Amazing in fact.
I was notorious for hating on 12’s so this is a big surprise for me. I think because the drums resonate so much, it’s finally the sound I’ve been wanting out of a 12 and never got.
Maybe 5 lug 12" toms aren't so crazy after all...

Congrats on a cool set.

Louis mate

Reaction score
Maybe 5 lug 12" toms aren't so crazy after all...

Congrats on a cool set.
totally! I was expecting it to be a real pain to tune because I owned a renown for a short time, and that 12 was fairly difficult to tune up. This tom took me all of 5 minutes to get it tuned up batter and reso, and it sounds amazing. There’s just something special about these custom series...

Latest posts