Gretsch USA Custom Wrap Cutback - Take 2!

LFBarfe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's so that the overlap can be anchored under a lug while not creating a double thick layer of wrap under the head collar. Sensible idea, IMHO.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
LFBarfe said:
That's so that the overlap can be anchored under a lug while not creating a double thick layer of wrap under the head collar. Sensible idea, IMHO.
Yes, very sensible! Here are some pictures of a snare drum I purchased from Pork Pie quite some years ago. Bill was doing the same thing with his wrap overlap back in 1992. I purchased this drum from Bill when he was working out of his garage! Check out the date and low serial number!

Mark

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In general, I am glad to see Gretsch moving to the alternative method of applying wraps. There is one thing to note, which I've personally seen in some instances of drums wrapped using that method. There is the possibility a drum's bearing edge can be slightly affected at the location of the wrap's butt joint.

As I understand it, after application, the wrap (essentially the outer ply of the shell) gets trimmed/contoured during the cutting of the outside bearing edge (counter-cut). The router bit's pilot bearing or guide (or whatever you call it), follows the outside contour of the shell. The wrap's butt seam can cause a small undulation in the router bit's path, which can result in a small anomaly in the bearing edge - a tiny bump, nearly indiscernible to the eye, but typically detectable by feel if present.

I've personally seen/owned drums wrapped (using the "DW" method - actual DW drums in fact) where if blindfolded, you could determine where the wrap seam is located simply by running your finger around the wood on the bearing edge. My only explanation for this has been the slight course deviance of the cutting/router bit was caused by the wrap's seam manifesting in the bearing edge. There is a clear correlation between the bearing edge "bump" and the wrap's butt seam on the drums in which I've seen this occur. It can be very subtle, but when it does occur, it ever so slightly affects the seating and tension of the head (a tiny wrinkle perhaps).

I am not saying this happens in every case of a drum wrapped using this method, only that it definitely happens in some drums and definitely has happened on some wrapped DW drums. I expect the effect, to the extent where present, could be diminished or magnified by the bearing edge design, angles and radius etc.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Update!

My replacement drum just arrived! Once again, beautiful workmanship. Looks very vintage with the dual-pad muffler and key holder.

The original drum will be sent back to the Glendale Heights store this week. K.O.... keep a lookout for the drum. You might end up buying it! The drum was packed up in the original boxes (yes, they are double-boxed) after I took pictures and was never played. It's in like-new condition!

-Mark

Attachments