Gretsch USA Custom

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous and I'm guessing they'll sound just as spectacular as they look.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is one beautiful kit! And I already know how awesome they sound....you have a really special drum set there, my man. Congratulations!

jb111

Reaction score
That is one beautiful kit! And I already know how awesome they sound....you have a really special drum set there, my man. Congratulations!
Thanks, man. You know firsthand! Yours is incredible as well.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Got my eye on ordering a USA Custom. I'm interested in the bass drum mufflers...how do you like them? I like the front/back thing. Curious about your thoughts. Cheers.

jb111

Reaction score
Awesome! Got my eye on ordering a USA Custom. I'm interested in the bass drum mufflers...how do you like them? I like the front/back thing. Curious about your thoughts. Cheers.
Hey, I apologize for missing your question about the mufflers. Just seeing this now. As I have only been able to play lightly around the house, I don't have an honest assessment about the mufflers yet. Would be much easier if I was able to gig right now. It still has the original PS3 bass drum batter, and that head has a more muffled sound as it is (I usually play coated Ambassadors on the BD batter). Once I get a new head on it and can really play it I'll have a better idea. Wish I had better feedback for you.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I posted here back in February with a list of questions as I was thinking about ordering a new USA Custom. Quite a few people on here took the time to reply with thorough feedback and some great points to consider. I got my questions answered and eventually made the order.

The kit arrived last week so I figured I'd share it with you fine folks. We're still getting acquainted, but I am really digging this thing. Got it tuned up on the higher side and that Gretsch thing just came right out. Tuned up quickly and easily. I'm just going to swap out the stock Powerstroke BD batter for a coated Ambassador and it will be good to go.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time back in February to chime in. Looking forward to gigging this when we get to the other side.
The black bass drum hoops with silver sparkle inlays are worth the price of admission right there.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very beautiful kit, congrats and enjoy!

by the way, Gretsch doesn’t use gaskets under the lugs or they are thin and I don’t see it!?

jb111

Reaction score
Very beautiful kit, congrats and enjoy!

by the way, Gretsch doesn’t use gaskets under the lugs or they are thin and I don’t see it!?
Good eye. No gaskets.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have Pratt mufflers on both my vintage Gretsch kit and my USAC kit. I love them. They do exactly what they're supposed to do and allow you to get a variety of sounds on the fly. I have found them incredibly useful in live situations, especially, in being able to tailor the bd tone specifically for a song.

I had the USAC kit out at a jazz-jam thing last night, after not having them on a gig in close to a year. I was reminded of what powerful, alive and musical drums they are. Had a bunch of fun playing 'em.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have Pratt mufflers on both my vintage Gretsch kit and my USAC kit. I love them. They do exactly what they're supposed to do and allow you to get a variety of sounds on the fly. I have found them incredibly useful in live situations, especially, in being able to tailor the bd tone specifically for a song.

I had the USAC kit out at a jazz-jam thing last night, after not having them on a gig in close to a year. I was reminded of what powerful, alive and musical drums they are. Had a bunch of fun playing 'em.
Thanks for the insight!