Gretsch USA Customs loose lugs?

prplx

Reaction score
The lugs on my newly purchased USA Customs keep getting loose. The only time I encountered that was with my Crystal Beat kit because acrylic kits transfer the energy to the lugs and they get loose. But with a wooden I never had to deal with that before.
Is this common with USA Customs?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Talking about the tension rods getting loose, or the screws that attach the lugs to the shell?

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My USA customs are from 2005 and an add on floor Tom several years later. Never had an issue with lugs getting loose. My late model Ludwig Supra does experience this on one lug. I installed couple of tight screws on the snare and all good.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The lugs on my newly purchased USA Customs keep getting loose. The only time I encountered that was with my Crystal Beat kit because acrylic kits transfer the energy to the lugs and they get loose. But with a wooden I never had to deal with that before.
Is this common with USA Customs?
You must tune pretty loosely

Reactions: JDA

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not an excuse, but the CB's don't have Masters Lugs or Stainless Steel tension rods of higher end Pearl kits. Concessions were made to keep the street price down. It was recommended that drummers invest in the stainless steel or tightscrew rods. USA Custgoms are 3x the price of a CB kit and no expense should be spared in build quality.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not an excuse, but the CB's don't have Masters Lugs or Stainless Steel tension rods of higher end Pearl kits. Concessions were made to keep the street price down. It was recommended that drummers invest in the stainless steel or tightscrew rods. USA Custgoms are 3x the price of a CB kit and no expense should be spared in build quality.
In all my years on the forums, and that’s a lot. This is the first I’ve heard about Gretsch toms detuning.

If I had to take a guess, I say the culprit was the die cast hoops. In that you don’t need to put as much tension on the hoop to get the same pitch. A triple flange hoop will require “ perhaps” more tension to get the same pitch, and thusly will not back out.

Wait a sec ... what drum ? Kick or toms ? Cause kick rods back out all the time. ALL the time if you tune loose

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is a "CB" kit? And how does Pearl enter the conversation about a Gretsch kit? I'm confused.

Anyway, I'm quite certain that I've seen this problem with Gretsch kits mentioned before on this and other forums and, rightly or wrongly, the blame typically goes to the cast hoops. I've no idea if the hoops combined with loose tuning is the issue (seems logical), but I certainly know how I would tackle the problem - the aforementioned Tightscrew (or similar) tension rods. The problem certainly will not get better by itself, and the Tightscrews are not that expensive.

Congrats on buying such a nice kit. It's the kind of equipment that almost all of us would love to have a problem with!

GeeDeeEmm

Gretsch USA Custom in White Marine Pearl

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is a "CB" kit? And how does Pearl enter the conversation about a Gretsch kit? I'm confused.

Anyway, I'm quite certain that I've seen this problem with Gretsch kits mentioned before on this and other forums and, rightly or wrongly, the blame typically goes to the cast hoops. I've no idea if the hoops combined with loose tuning is the issue (seems logical), but I certainly know how I would tackle the problem - the aforementioned Tightscrew (or similar) tension rods. The problem certainly will not get better by itself, and the Tightscrews are not that expensive.

Congrats on buying such a nice kit. It's the kind of equipment that almost all of us would love to have a problem with!

GeeDeeEmm

Gretsch USA Custom in White Marine Pearl
CB = Crystal Beat by Pearl. The OP had similar problems on his Crystal beat kit-

"The lugs on my newly purchased USA Customs keep getting loose. The only time I encountered that was with my Crystal Beat kit because acrylic kits transfer the energy to the lugs and they get loose. But with a wooden I never had to deal with that before.
Is this common with USA Customs?"

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
CB = Crystal Beat by Pearl. The OP had similar problems on his Crystal beat kit-

"The lugs on my newly purchased USA Customs keep getting loose. The only time I encountered that was with my Crystal Beat kit because acrylic kits transfer the energy to the lugs and they get loose. But with a wooden I never had to deal with that before.
Is this common with USA Customs?"
I see. I'm a little slow on the update, Bri. Comes with advancing age, I'm finding.

GeeDeeEmm

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I see. I'm a little slow on the update, Bri. Comes with advancing age, I'm finding.

GeeDeeEmm
LOL, no worries. I would love to get a Gretsch kit. I'd probably dial it up a bit anyway and wouldn't have an issue with tension rods.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I ordered my USA Customs in 1977........in the 42 years I've gigged those shells, not once did a lug screw move.
Never.

prplx

Reaction score
Maybe I just had it tuned way too loose? I tuned a bit higher and it seems fine for now. Someone asked: it was the toms, all three of them, 12-13-15 that came loose in the course of one gig.

I had a New Classic with die cast hoop and can't remember having that problem.