Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
See pics later in thread.

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I count six plys, not so sure about the edges being original. I thought they had the "chamfer" on the exterior of the shell as opposed to slanting towards the inside, not sure when that changed.
How do they sound? Did you know about the filled holes before you bought them?

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well...they should be 6 ply right?

Im thinking the ft is from the 1970s and the 12x8 is 1980s

So did they do edges differently in those eras?

They sound like gretsch for sure

Did not know about the filled holes. He said the floor tom was faded champagne sparkle

The bass drum was white wrap

He sent them to furniture company to get them refinished in natural

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I remember they certainly had the Gretsch twang (I like to call it) in the video demonstration

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Badge is 71-79 but plies look odd. Should be 6 thin plies but doesn't look like it to me. It will 45 degree inwards vs. the classic round over, but not sure when that transition occurred - I am guessing post '70 (RB era).

As for the extra holes, the 2 in the body look like a butt plate? Makes no sense. The larger one behind the FT leg - ???. The badge was doctored at some point and that finish looks too new to be 70's.....are you sure it's legit? Paint inside looks right but mount screws look new, too.

As for the 12, I only saw square badge. I didn't see which one it was, but it could be '80. I have a kit from that badge - fantastic, underrated drums! Need to see the badge again.......ply pics of both would help me and I could dig up the Book......

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Badge is 71-79 but plies look odd. Should be 6 thin plies but doesn't look like it to me. It will 45 degree inwards vs. the classic round over, but not sure when that transition occurred - I am guessing post '70 (RB era).

As for the extra holes, the 2 in the body look like a butt plate? Makes no sense. The larger one behind the FT leg - ???. The badge was doctored at some point and that finish looks too new to be 70's.....are you sure it's legit? Paint inside looks right but mount screws look new, too.

As for the 12, I only saw square badge. I didn't see which one it was, but it could be '80. I have a kit from that badge - fantastic, underrated drums! Need to see the badge again.......ply pics of both would help me and I could dig up the Book......

The badge was taken off because the drum was refinished by a furniture company. It was originally champagne sparkle wrap.

In the other thread I bumped the edges are correct cut. I always thought the gretsch cookie had the thicker gum layer in there. I do think its original gretsch but those holes are killing me. What the heck. Couldn't be a butt plate for a snare because its in middle of drum.
The other hole looks like air vent?

I think i need to maybe get the gretsch/gladstone matching legs that maxwells makes.

Im sending this video to steve. See what he thinks

ThomasL

Reaction score
See my post in the other thread:

The silver sealer on the 14 doesn't look original to me, and the edges are perhaps not original either (as they don't have original silver sealer on them). A few good pics would be better than the video.

No idea what the plugged holes are. Could the drum be converted from something else (cocktail drum etc.)? The outer ply looks very nice for a previously wrapped drum.

The 12" looks just as I would expect, except that it doesn't have silver sealing on the edges either. But I don't know how to tell if it is from ca 1982 or later in the 80s (the serial sequence was restarted in 1984).

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll take some pictures of the inside of my RB 14x14 floor tom. Regardless of the RB or SSB badge era, there are tell tale signs for any jasper made shell.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1:41 8X12 small tom
135830 serial number /square badge grey/white label

year 1982
from R. Gier Gretsch Book)

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first reaction was that the floor tom shell looks thicker than it should be. I have Gretsch drums from that era, but I'm not a Gretsch scholar by any means. So I could be all wrong.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
15x12 bass drum
20210101_090821.jpg
20210101_090801.jpg
20210101_090900.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the 6P G shell
from the outside in:

maple/gum/gum/gum/gum/maple

it's the stacking direction
that gives the 3rd gum ply in it's different color (leading people to think it was maple for many years)
So the stacking

outside in : Horizontal/ Horizontal/ vertical/ horizontal/ Horizontal/ horizontal
(as of 1/1/21)

Last edited:

ThomasL

Reaction score
Could that be a New Classic shell? It's slightly thicker than US Custom.

Plies:
EOS_2004.JPG

The badge would explain the two small holes:
EOS_2434a.jpg

And the larger plugged hole matches the vent hole position (and size, I think it was slightly bigger). What I don't know, is whether the leg bracket hole pattern is the same? I think the brackets had metal plates on the inside, which could explain the marks in your drum.

Edit: Also the silver sealer on the New Classics is thicker and does not show the grain like on the USA drums.

Last edited:

ThomasL

Reaction score
1:41 8X12 small tom
135830 serial number /square badge grey/white label

year 1982
from R. Gier Gretsch Book)
Joe, the serial numbers were restarted at 20000 in 1984. The kit I had with serials 3013x was perhaps from 85 or so (it had original RIMS mounts with stickers saying that they were patented in 1985 IIRC). Do you know how far these serials went before the nicely printed numbers were changed to the 'matrix printer' version?
EOS_5047.JPG

Are these closer to 1990?

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Its definitely gretsch. Interesting because he said it was really faded champagne sparkle.

Ears can't lie. 100% gretsch shell but..new classic 5a great guess.
Hmmmm.

Another interesting tid bit
Sealer doesn't cover edges on 12 and but does cover edges on 15x12 and the snare.

Also same cover sealer on 12 and (darker grey) and 15bd and snare (silver)

Its a mutt and I love the sound

The sound is all that really matters and the bass drum is so hip

Last edited:

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It all looks like Gretsch to me. I don’t see what the problem is.

ply thicknesses varied, edges varied, paint between 70’s and 80’s varied, lug screws varied. Don’t know what else to say. I mean, nobody even talks about the new die cast hoops being about 20% thinner than 60’s-90’s

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Trust me..no problems. Just getting to know them a little more intimately.

I do need to deal with the ft bracket/leg rattle. Other than that Im in heaven