Gretsch?

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trust me..no problems. Just getting to know them a little more intimately.

I do need to deal with the ft bracket/leg rattle. Other than that Im in heaven
Oh yeah. That’s a thing for sure

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked a 14" x 12" SSB with a tag that has M4420 as the model number, and it's 3/16" thick.

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my ft is a new classic

Check out old reverb photos

The two small filled holes were for the badge.
The large hole is for air vent behind tom leg. Mystery solved?

Screenshot_20210101-100955_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210101-101006_Chrome.jpg

paulwells73

Reaction score
Joe, the serial numbers were restarted at 20000 in 1984. The kit I had with serials 3013x was perhaps from 85 or so (it had original RIMS mounts with stickers saying that they were patented in 1985 IIRC). Do you know how far these serials went before the nicely printed numbers were changed to the 'matrix printer' version?
View attachment 477554

Are these closer to 1990?
Dot matrix serial numbers started in October 1983.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
What year did gretsch introduce the new classic series?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007 was that fast enough : )

" Where Gretsch shells differ from other shells is in the inner coating of matt silver paint and the 30º bearing edges. Most drums have clear sealed interiors and 45º edges. The 30º edges warm the sound slightly, bringing out a little extra depth. What's more, the thickness of each shell varies according to the shell's size. Therefore all the toms have six plies, but the 10" tom is 4.8mm thick, the 12" tom is 5.7mm and the 14" floor tom is 6.6mm. "

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks Joe.

Reactions: JDA

paulwells73

Reaction score
New Classics started in 2006, but I don’t think your 14x14 is one. I’m pretty sure the lugs and floor tom brackets are not interchangeable with USA type lugs or the Gladstone brackets. (If they are, it would be a first for Gretsch - they are notorious for making lugs and brackets that are NOT interchangeable with other eras.) It does look like the plugged holes match a NC pattern, but people did all kinds of weird drilling in the 70s and 80s to try to "customize" their drums.

Also, I know the seller you bought them from, and he is not someone who would deceive a buyer. He’s also someone who knows and respects Gretsch‘s history, and not likely try to turn a NC floor tom into a fake 70s drum.

Reactions: JDA

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. He is a great guy and a great player. He texted me last night that he doesnt know what that tom is...only that is had "really faded champagne sparkle wrap" but that badge came with the drum.

. So Paul what do you think my ft is?

Last edited:

paulwells73

Reaction score
Yes. He is a great guy and a great player. Hope I didn't come off as suspect. He texted me last night that he doesnt know what that tom is...only that is had "really faded champagne sparkle wrap"

. So Paul what do you think my ft is?
Honestly, I’m stumped. Unless someone can confirm that New Classic lugs are interchangeable with USA lugs, and New Classic floor tom brackets are interchangeable with Gladstone brackets, we probably rule that out. Unless you want to remove a lug and ft bracket to see if the holes have been messed with, or somehow don’t seem to fit the hardware properly.

If it was "faded champagne wrap" that would imply an early 70s drum, since we hardly see sparkle wraps past that era. By 75, it was mostly wood finishes, and occasional black or chrome wraps. You don’t see sparkle wraps again until the 90s, when people started trying to recreate a vintage vibe. But...early 70s drums tend to have thicker 60s-style shells and rounded bearing edges. So, I really don’t know.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree/ would have to check New Classic ever had a Champ rap; can't think of it)

ThomasL

Reaction score
Dot matrix serial numbers started in October 1983.
Thanks. So Tom's 8x12 is definitely ca 1982. I was also mistaken about my 1985-ish kit: the drums actually have hand-written serial numbers! Anyway, this puts my 504xx snare a bit earlier than I thought.

ThomasL

Reaction score
I seem to recall that New Classic and USA lugs would be interchangeable (from cymbalholic?). Weren't the USA lugs (all hardware) made in Asia by 2006?

If you find a horizontal seam in the inside ply, that would indicate 70s, but not all drums have these...

The Renown series had the same badge shape and would have had a slightly thinner shell than a New Classic, and these came with traditional Gretsch lugs. Not sure about the leg brackets, though.

Last edited:

paulwells73

Reaction score
Thanks. So Tom's 8x12 is definitely ca 1982. I was also mistaken about my 1985-ish kit: the drums actually have hand-written serial numbers! Anyway, this puts my 504xx snare a bit earlier than I thought.
I think a tag with dot matrix 50xxx numbers would be fall of 1987.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
This seems pretty close

Screenshot_20210101-123934_Chrome.jpg

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
NCs actually started in 2004 with snares and were USA made at that time before moving production to Taiwan. The last NC was built in 2016 however production of the line stopped a few years before. They sound so similar to USA custom I gather many would find it challenging to differentiate. Champagne was not a cataloged option however the Vintage Glass Nitron above was close yet closer to aged silver. Here is a pic of a 10” interior.
1609524682488.jpeg

ThomasL

Reaction score
According to this old listing, the New Classic tom lugs have a hole spacing of 1 5/16", just like (vintage) small Gretsch lugs:

ThomasL

Reaction score
I believe the New Classic leg brackets were the same as these, only with a different wing nut, so they have a 2.5" hole spacing:

"This is the current bracket used on all Gretsch USA, New Classic, & Renown series toms and floor toms. The bracket fits all 12.7mm L-arms and legs. Mounting screws, gasket and a memory lock are included. Hole spacing is 2-1/2" and will retrofit the 9020 Techware brackets."

Since vintage diamond brackets had a 3" hole spacing, that shell must originally have had Techware or later brackets (if they were Gretsch)?

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks ThomasL