GRIT clip mics. A quick review/demo.

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Found a new mic I thought you guys might be interested in. GRIT mics out of australia. I found them because I like my hats real close to my snare so often placing a normal mic or even most clip ins can be remarkably tedious depending where the mic clips in. I gave it a go because it seems to fix that issue and is affordable. I'm using a PDP 20 ply Walnut Maple with S hoops, Attack profile 1(w/dot) and higher tuning. My normal mic is an Avantone Pro Atom tom mic because I tend to tune high and these mics catch the lower tones that are still there when tuned high. I stay away from SM 57s because my normal tuning and those tend to disagree and be mediocre sounding.

I recorded about two minutes of some snare drum playing. Played medium light, medium, then my norm (medium heavy to heavy). I chose los cabos red hickory 3A because those are my lighter sticks and I was trying to get more middle of the road so people could hear how these mics might sound for them rather than laying in my my normal (heavy playing with a vater power 3A) and only really showing the differences to power players. I did five files: GRIT solo, Avantone solo, Room mic (so you could hear a neutral, distanced take as a control sample), GRIT w/room & OH, and Avantone w/ room & OH.

Grit solo mic

Avantone solo

Room solo

Grit Room OH

Avantone Room OH

Ultimately, I like the grit. I feel like it doesn't capture the mid/low end of the snare as well as the Avantone but I like the sound more than what I've experienced with an SM57. I'm going to strive to keep using the Avantone in my studio because I like it's tone more, but the GRIT will likely become my go-to live. I might be able to move it in and adjust my studio setup if I get better at the mixing aspect, but as of now it's a great live mic for me. I think I'm just happiest about having a mic that clips properly with S-hoops.

GRIT website: https://www.peterman.com.au/music3/Peterman-GRIT

For AUS shipping references I ordered 10/11, shipped 10/14, received 10/23 in Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Please let me know if there's issues with my Soundcloud links, I am new to using it.

Attachments

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
Hey just letting you know I appreciate this review. I was looking to see if anyone had feedback on the Avantone, because I have the exact same issue. I want my hi hat almost touching my left tom, which screws everything up when I have to mic the snare for FOH reinforcement or recording. Searching for something real discreet that will still sound decent and be reliable etc.

Looks and sounds like both are pretty decent. Thanks for the review!

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey just letting you know I appreciate this review. I was looking to see if anyone had feedback on the Avantone, because I have the exact same issue. I want my hi hat almost touching my left tom, which screws everything up when I have to mic the snare for FOH reinforcement or recording. Searching for something real discreet that will still sound decent and be reliable etc.

Looks and sounds like both are pretty decent. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for checking it out. A month and a few gigs into using it the GRIT is fantastic live. I've been playing with positioning and while I like it sitting a bit higher when I play heavy I can set it where the top is only sitting about 2" above the rim and it's fine with heavy playing and great on my softer gigs. I liked it I grabbed a bass drum mic and I've been happy with the tone and convenience of that too.