Grombals?

Drm1979

Reaction score
So I have this zildjian ride that came with my 1st drum set about 20 years ago. It is the only cymbal that I've never had to replace and it is a signature of my sound. It had some keyjoling when I got it. I've always been careful to use cymbal sleeves to protect it but because of the keyhole it tears them up rather quickly. How well do the grombals hold up? And if I get those to use do I still need to use cymbal sleeves? Also do the grombals compromise the sustain of the cymbals at all? Any advice is appreciated.

chillybase

Reaction score
Hey DRM,
Grombals are pretty cool although, I don't see them working in every situation. Meaning that if you end up using other stands then you might have to pop the Grombal out. But if you use your own stands most of the time then this should be a problem. In my tests, I found that when you use it with the Cymbal Chief you get your standard sustain. When using a Grombal on a bare cymbal rod then you lose some sustain. You can do this in a pinch if you were using a backline kit. The Grombal will not fit over you standard cymbal sleeves. You will have to remove the cymbal sleeve -- ideally placing the Cymbal Chief in the place of the sleeve and felt.

Disclaimer: I have some in the Everything Else for Sale section. Used to see if I'd like them. I do but other playing situations came into the equation.

Drm1979

Reaction score
Hey DRM,
Grombals are pretty cool although, I don't see them working in every situation. Meaning that if you end up using other stands then you might have to pop the Grombal out. But if you use your own stands most of the time then this should be a problem. In my tests, I found that when you use it with the Cymbal Chief you get your standard sustain. When using a Grombal on a bare cymbal rod then you lose some sustain. You can do this in a pinch if you were using a backline kit. The Grombal will not fit over you standard cymbal sleeves. You will have to remove the cymbal sleeve -- ideally placing the Cymbal Chief in the place of the sleeve and felt.

Disclaimer: I have some in the Everything Else for Sale section. Used to see if I'd like them. I do but other playing situations came into the equation.
Ok I might check those out. However I am currently playing on somebody else's kit and am not sure of the diameter of his stands. So next weekend when we play again I'll see what they are before buying anything.

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the Grombals on all my cymbals. They work perfectly as designed. They will stop the key holing that you've experienced, and your cymbal will love you.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Been using Grombals for several years, on different brand stands. I keep the metal cymbal washer and use black neoprene washers I get from Home Depot to keep the metal washer in place when packing them for transport.