Grommet! No, not you, the cymbal

Colorado Jay

Reaction score
I have never seen such a thing. I suppose it would dampen the sound a bit like tape, but it seems a bit extreme. Anyone done this or know of this practice of drill and grommet?

Not mine... and won't be either.

Last edited:

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw that listed on Reverb a few weeks ago. Wondered what it is...a plug to cover up a large hole intended to be a rivet placement gone bad (large yes, but)???..a plug to cover a hole drilled to prevent a small crack from spreading..?? A DIY cymbal muffler??
Who knows...I see the seller mentions his curiosity on what it is there for. When I first saw the ad weeks ago, I do not recall a mention of it. Guess many asked, 'WTF'
But for $250....never

egw

Reaction score
I saw that listed on Reverb a few weeks ago. Wondered what it is...a plug to cover up a large hole intended to be a rivet placement gone bad (large yes, but)???..a plug to cover a hole drilled to prevent a small crack from spreading..?? A DIY cymbal muffler??
You should be careful about using the words "but" and "plug" in the same sentence. Haha!

Anyway, that cymbal may sound amazing. Who knows. Can't knock it til you've tried it. Cymbalholics have been known to do crazier things.

REF

Reaction score
Strange. It seems odd someone would drill a hole to repair a crack and then stuff it with a grommet. If it was done as some kind of muting approach, pretty over the top. Would I use something I can remove from the cymbal to tone it down or permanently effect it doing something that cannot be undone?

I bought a 20" Zildjian Pang off ebay with a grommet in the bell hole. The seller honestly stated a tiny crack was in the bell and he "fixed it" with the grommet. I removed it upon delivery and discovered a second crack present. I told him about it. I wasn't happy but, the cracks were quite tiny so, two tiny holes drilled at their ends, and with the way I play the cymbal nothing further should develop.

My guess is, the 602 was dilled for a crack and the grommet installed to make it seem exotic or something.

Colorado Jay

Reaction score
I assumed the grommet was rubber so it would easily removable.

One of my favorite local drummers has a cymbal that was plasma cut with random patterns that actually sounds really dry and awesome as a quiet ride or quick trashy crash. Lot's of cymbals with holes in them on the market to dry them out now, so that's what first came to mind.

Best theory is probably a repair... but plug why? Yeah, that's the question.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a cymbal with a large keyhole, used a grommet to prevent further damage and re-create a "round" hole. Near as I can tell, it is small enough and in the least resonant part of the cymbal there is no effect on tonal qualities.

Latest posts