Groove Wedge/RimRiser questions

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play a lot of cross stick, and it hurts!

I'm hoping maybe one of these will give a somewhat louder or more penetrating sound, so I can relax more and not hit so hard.

I know the Groove Wedge is out of production, here are two threads about making your own:

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/143564-russ-miller-groove-wedge/#entry1582125

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/140096-how-would-you-do-it/?hl=wedge

Anyone tried the the RimRiser:

http://www.wwbw.com/The-RimRiser-Cross-Stick-Performance-Enhancer-J23312.wwbw?source=TWWR5J1BB&cntry=us&currency=usd&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_e2mhsel1QIVkoZ-Ch0zaAWTEAQYAyABEgLfDvD_BwE

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
LOL!! I replied to the wrong thread...see my response to Animaaal below: sherm

That is amazing; congratulations!!

I've been using the Grove Wedge for...y e a r s now and loved every minute of it. When purchased I think it was $45 the last two I saw at the drum shop about 6 months ago they were $69 or $79 I believe and at time I thought I should get one in case I get another snare but I didn't get it. Now too late. I've used mine so much over the years I have worn a slight indention in the top of the wedge where I play.

Animaaal, the nice thing about your design you can move it from drum to drum without removing the lug bolts and you want need more than one. And changing heads will be a breeze. The more you pay it the more you are going to like it.

I use the butt end of the stick, and rolling the stick slightly will change the sound in different degrees. Depending on the type wood of the stick (OAK) I find when the grain of the wood is vertical you'll get a better cutting sound through the mix. Plus the area where the tip lays on the head can make a difference in how it sounds. Not too long ago I caught myself slightly releasing/letting go of the stick as it hits the wedge with the palm of my hand just slightly resting on the stick and forcing down. Don't know how long I've been doing that. LOL! And I don't do it all the time. I think it's the feel of the music that dictates how it's played. I believe the drum in combination with the wedge plays a big part in how it sounds it is not like just a stick hitting metal rim it's much more.

A couple of reasons it went away is (I believe; I have on real clue) Russ Miller is no longer with Yamaha and apparently Yamaha lost the rights of making the product plus they must have been expensive to make. They are made like a drum shell; if I'm not mistaken there are 11 layers of maple glued together plus the hardware involved, then marketing, etc.

Hope you will enjoy yours for years to come.

sherm

Edited by CherryClassic, Today, 10:44 PM.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have no clue what the RimRiser sounds like but the Wedge I assume will have a more woody sound. I'm sure the RimRiser will cut through the mix of the band the same way.

sherm

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Not exactly what you were asking, but S-hoops are supposed to provide a good cross-stick, with less hand fatigue. I have them, but only on my toms, so I can't really comment on that aspect. (They don't make a 10-lug 15" s-hoop. Once I get Josh to make me an 8-lug 8x15 I plan to put them on there.)

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm on the lookout for a Groove Wedge to put on my 12" snare, but they are getting hard to find since out of production! No way I'm gonna spend $100 on a little slab of wood as they sometimes go for on ebay lol.

I've never heard anything bad about them though. Neat little invention and it's too bad they don't make em anymore.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I made one of the DIY ones (2nd link above). I have plenty of wood left over and the parts are a few bucks.........I could make a 12" one........PM if interested....

The one I made has optional holes so it can fit both a 8 lug and 10 lug snare (but 14" only).

mesazoo

Reaction score
Some custom builders could probably make one out of scrap shells. Check Ghostnote/\.

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just stumbled upon this builder (ArtWood Drums) who appears to build one! The kicker is he's in Italy. :-/ I just sent him an email to see if they're available and if he'll ship to the US

Last edited by a moderator:

Animaaal

Reaction score
devinw said:
I just stumbled upon this builder (ArtWood Drums) who appears to build one! The kicker is he's in Italy. :-/ I just sent him an email to see if they're available and if he'll ship to the US

His are a straight piece of lumber though, no curve... Not exactly aesthetically pleasing. I think mounting a flat piece of wood to the lugs doesn't count lol, it's like skipping the whole challenge of the design. And hey, you've got two options right here on the forum!

mesazoo

Reaction score
Animaaal said:

His are a straight piece of lumber though, no curve... Not exactly aesthetically pleasing. I think mounting a flat piece of wood to the lugs doesn't count lol, it's like skipping the whole challenge of the design. And hey, you've got two options right here on the forum!
Actually it is a curved piece, looks about 8 to 10 plus.

Animaaal

Reaction score
mesazoo said:
Actually it is a curved piece, looks about 8 to 10 plus.

Oh, my foots in my mouth! It looks so straight in the pic, and I've even watched that video without noticing the curve. Mea culpa Artwood, I take it all back.

Animaaal

Reaction score
I think I've improved my design... I now have it where it grips onto the lugs pretty damn good, feels very solid. The first one sounded not quite "thwocky" enough, so I bored some holes in the underside to hollow it out a bit, and voila, thwockalicious. Much more cut now, if you need it. I think it looks pretty good, check out the grain on that maple. A few coats of Danish oil and some beeswax for finish. I've added a short vid, sorry I have no mic or Zoom or anything, but it gives you an idea anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsg3HAaiqUM

Id be happy to make one for members, drop me a line. Heads up, Jazzdrumguy has a nice design and is willing to make his for you as well, I'm not trying to corner the wedge market! Check em out. IMG_0230.JPGIMG_0231.JPGIMG_0235.JPG

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks nice! So you don't have any issue with it falling off using that mounting method?

Animaaal

Reaction score
devinw said:
Looks nice! So you don't have any issue with it falling off using that mounting method?
First, thanks!

No sir, the wedge actually fits on very snugly... Not only is it not at risk of falling off, you may have to give it a tug to get it off. Giggity. But seriously, it's a snug fit. With a little trial and error, I've got the holes the for the lugs just right so that you have to firmly press the wedge on, and it doesn't move a millimeter. I haven't made a 12" yet, because I don't have a 12" snare and I'm not sure if the lug spacing is the same as a 12" tom... But the wedges I've made fit a bunch of different 8-lug 13" snares and 10-lug 14" snares. (If someone has a 12" snare and can give me a measurement from lug-to-lug center, thatd be much appreciated). I want to see if I can get some different sounds out of them mounted on the toms- I like to play on the tom rims for the different cascara sounds but I hate beating on my rims. It'd be cool to have them at the top of the toms to mix in with fills. Coming soon!

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy to see this thread is generating a lot of response.

But, there's been very little talk of what these actually DO. I understand that for 13"/12"/10" snare drums they may compensate for the small diameter.

But what about on regular 14" snares?

I play lots of latin and big band swing. Often the majority of the set is cross stick backbeats, or bossa/samba/mambo patterns.

I'm experiencing pain and weakness in the left hand when playing cross stick. Is this "Augmented Rim Concept" something I should pursue? Do you think these would help me?

It's probably cheaper and faster to try this than go to my HMO. They'll charge me co-pays for months, and then finally tell me: "Don't do that."

What do you guys think?

Thanks....

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
The groove wedge type products that make up the bulk of the posts in this thread dont just give you a larger diameter target, they are tone generators, giving a woody knock. The S-hoops i mentioned do claim to be easier on the hands, though i dont see that being a huge effect - you're still hitting a solid object with a hard stick.

What sticks are you using? If they're oak, try almost anything else. If they're hickory, try Maple.

mesazoo

Reaction score
Animaaal said:
I think I've improved my design... I now have it where it grips onto the lugs pretty damn good, feels very solid. The first one sounded not quite "thwocky" enough, so I bored some holes in the underside to hollow it out a bit, and voila, thwockalicious. Much more cut now, if you need it. I think it looks pretty good, check out the grain on that maple. A few coats of Danish oil and some beeswax for finish. I've added a short vid, sorry I have no mic or Zoom or anything, but it gives you an idea anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsg3HAaiqUM

Id be happy to make one for members, drop me a line. Heads up, Jazzdrumguy has a nice design and is willing to make his for you as well, I'm not trying to corner the wedge market! Check em out.
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG

If you varied the holes depth from side to side could that provide some pitch options?

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
kb said:
Well, I'm happy to see this thread is generating a lot of response.

But, there's been very little talk of what these actually DO. I understand that for 13"/12"/10" snare drums they may compensate for the small diameter.

But what about on regular 14" snares?

I play lots of latin and big band swing. Often the majority of the set is cross stick backbeats, or bossa/samba/mambo patterns.

I'm experiencing pain and weakness in the left hand when playing cross stick. Is this "Augmented Rim Concept" something I should pursue? Do you think these would help me?

It's probably cheaper and faster to try this than go to my HMO. They'll charge me co-pays for months, and then finally tell me: "Don't do that."

What do you guys think?

Thanks....
Without seeing you play it's pretty much impossible to analyse what is causing the problem, and if any external device would solve it.