Grooviest cover tunes

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some friends are putting a cover band together and we want to build a set list that is bluesy, rootsy, greasy, funky and fun. Deep cuts of classic rock will probably make up the bulk of our early efforts. We have guitar,bass and drums and looking to add keys.

Songs from Galactic, Blackberry Smoke, Tedeschi Trucks, Govt Mule, Doobie Bros and have been proposed.
I haven't played covers in over a decade and wonder what songs you enjoy playing that get a positive response from your audience.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A couple we usually get good response from are "Shakey Ground" by Delbert McClinton (originally The Temptations) and "Goin' Down" by Freddie King.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
As far as cover tunes and playing familiar/what's expected/ I always wished/wanted the songs chosen to uplift the audience to an unexpected place they weren't expecting.

you know that one radio channel that plays hits from the 60s and 70s even 80s + but are not the ones you expect? Those songs.

If I had to go by only what the crowd was familiar with , expected, wanted and not lift them into other directions
I'd consider myself..err unfulfilled..

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great recommendations so far, thank you.

JDA, we want to balance playing what we enjoy and songs that are off the beaten path, but we also want to entertain and have people dig what we are doing.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never had a problem with this set list (from the way back machine in '95) when I was a lead guitar player.

I've been slowly working this set list on the drums. This was a an early set list. We added at least 20+ more songs to it. It's not on the list but at 1:45 am our big closer was Dazed and Confused. I loved playing that song In a half zombified state.

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just a few we do peeps lv it
I wish
Superstition
Right place wrong time
Use me
Reeling in the years
My old school
Aqualung
Locomotive breath
Get back jojo
Let it be
My Generation
Pinball wizard
Can’t you see
24 hrs at a time

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just a few we do peeps lv it
I wish
Superstition
Right place wrong time
Use me
Reeling in the years
My old school
Aqualung
Locomotive breath
Get back jojo
Let it be
My Generation
Pinball wizard
Can’t you see
24 hrs at a time
Aqualung, I'm impressed!

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah my newest band, the lead vocals is a music/theater/vocal major he gets out in the audience and does an awesome Ian Anderson. He actually scares me a little lol

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never had a problem with this set list (from the way back machine in '95) when I was a lead guitar player.

I've been slowly working this set list on the drums. This was a an early set list. We added at least 20+ more songs to it. It's not on the list but at 1:45 am our big closer was Dazed and Confused. I loved playing that song In a half zombified state.
That's an impressive set list.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's an impressive set list.
Thank you Sir. There is so many more tunes flooding into my brain from memories of those gigs past. The Blues Brothers Riot In Cell Block Number Nine was great song for audience participation.

Joe61

Reaction score
We just added "No matter what" / Badfinger to our play list and was received very well by our audience.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would suggest a cover of Otis Redding's cover of Daytripper: