Guidelines to buying and selling on DFO, please give a look

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Hello all, as a person who buys and sells a lot on the internet, I would just like to share some points to make a transaction as smooth as possible.

Sellers....describe the good and the not so good as accurately as possible and encourage questions from buyers and when you have a sale pending, best is to give the buyer a phone number or email as aback up to contact you, our pm service is not bullet proof. And make sure you pack it right, double box if need be. And make sure it is insured.

Buyers, ask questions before you send money, not while it is in transit. use paypal, and send payment pronto, sellers shouldn't have to remind you etc.

AND if there is ever a question, hiccup or a problem with a transaction......CONTACT ME....either buyer or seller, I will dive right into the situation to help get it resolved.

Now that being said, won't ever apply to about 99% of the transactions here because we are all drum guys and a few gals.

So thanks for reading, Ben

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sellers....describe the good and the not so good as accurately as possible and encourage questions from buyers and when you have a sale pending, best is to give the buyer a phone number or email as aback up to contact you, our pm service is not bullet proof. And make Sire you pack it right, double box if need be. And make sure it is insured.
Right on Ben. I was mortified to come home one day, only to find a box sitting on my porch and LITERALLY seeing a Rogers bow-tie tension rod sticking out of it! I thought I was going to throw up. Six tension rods were bent. Please pack thoroughly. PLEASE.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
I could give lots of my $.02 worth, but one great idea is to not only look at how long (years and posts) that the seller has been on DFO but to check to see if they have sold in the past here and to what extent. Sure, not everyone is a full time dealer, and you can get a good deal from someone doing a sale or two, but some guys are known for being great sellers. Also, when selling, price accordingly if you really want to sell something. I usually check the going rate (sold items) on the bay and then go lower (since I pay no sellers fees here)....overall, keep this place an honest and great place to enjoy buying/selling/trading our instrument of choice.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Good to hear as i would expect transactions here to be good ones, and any tips are helpful too. But packing right cannot be overlooked. I have received drums and a few snares from ebay sales that
were darn luck they made it, and if packed wrong, ups and fedex won't pay insurance.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Allow me to add:

When posting a for sale ad, please include your asking price as a courtesy to your potential buyers. "Make an offer" sends the wrong message; either you want too much or will take next to nothing. Likely you will get a lot of lowball offers, and people who might otherwise be interested will just pass you by because they don't want to play the bidding game. Set your price! If it's low, you'll sell quick and be happy. If it's fair, you'll sell in a reasonable period of time. If it's high, you won't sell and the market will have spoken about the value of your gear.

Addendum:
While the 5 post minimum is the only hard and fast rule, we do ask that you join us with the intention of contributing to our discussions.

This site is NOT a free-classifieds-for-anyone site, our sale section is for the benefit of our community members. These active members have complained in the past about the proliferation of what are essentially spam listings from people who are not connected here and are hard or impossible to reach, and aren't known to the community.

I recently had this discussion with someone who felt entitled to make 5 one-word posts and then grace us with his overpriced all-in-one package sale ad with no details regarding payment or shipping. When I asked him to continue contributing to other threads because our sale section is for active members, he decided I must just be on a power trip and how dare I deprive the members here of the opportunity to buy his gear???

Needless to say, he is no longer here.

If you want to be a part of this community, we want you here and we want your input. If you are just looking to sell gear, please use Facebook/Craigslist/other free avenues available to you.

Thanks!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
agreed.... if its an offer kinda deal, it might as well be on ebay as an auction. if you want to sell it here, its best to put a price on it. if its a fair price, it will sell and sell quickly in most cases..

mike

PremierCarl

Reaction score
Hey Ben, I have been happy with 100% of the transactions I've had on the board. Everyone has been helpful in finding parts & stuff for my Slingerland project that will be hit with drumsticks in 2013!!! If I haven't said it publicly THANKSto you all! I'll post names & parts when the project is completed. Getting the bearing edges done this month, thanks Eric! :occasion5:

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Silly question. What's an appropriate amount of time to let pass before "bumping" a listing up to the front page? I have an item about to be bumped to page 3. It has been 5 days. I see some bumps much sooner. Is there a suggested time frame?

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Only had 3 transactions so far here (hopefully many more will follow)... FloydZKing, jazzdrummer and Chunkaway were all completely legit and perfect to deal with.

FloydZKing and jazzdrummer (Will and Matt) shipped drums to me in packaging that could survive Armageddon. I shipped a drum to Chunkaway and used OEM packaging, so I hope it arrives safely to him.

In each transaction, these dudes communicated with me and I made my best effort to communicate with them as quickly as possible and trying to keep each deal as professional and as friendly as possible.

drawtheline55... EXCELLENT buying and selling guideline!

Cheers,
Ryan

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
rculberson said:
Only had 3 transactions so far here (hopefully many more will follow)... FloydZKing, jazzdrummer and Chunkaway were all completely legit and perfect to deal with.

FloydZKing and jazzdrummer (Will and Matt) shipped drums to me in packaging that could survive Armageddon. I shipped a drum to Chunkaway and used OEM packaging, so I hope it arrives safely to him.

In each transaction, these dudes communicated with me and I made my best effort to communicate with them as quickly as possible and trying to keep each deal as professional and as friendly as possible.

drawtheline55... EXCELLENT buying and selling guideline!

Cheers,
Ryan
Ryan was awesome to deal with, even after I screwed up. Flexibility and courtesy go a LONG way to making this a great place to buy and sell.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Chunkaway said:
Ryan was awesome to deal with, even after I screwed up. Flexibility and courtesy go a LONG way to making this a great place to buy and sell.
Thanks, Paul. That means a lot. Hope you enjoy your drum.

Cheers,
Ryan

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
red66charger said:
Silly question. What's an appropriate amount of time to let pass before "bumping" a listing up to the front page? I have an item about to be bumped to page 3. It has been 5 days. I see some bumps much sooner. Is there a suggested time frame?
Common etiquette is once a day at the most, but every other day is better.

gkrk

Reaction score
I'm thinking of selling some snare drums and a kit. Is it better to list everything in one post or to post them individually?

Also, my preference is to go with "local pickup only" with some willingness on my part to meet part way. I know this will limit my ability to sell stuff, but can anyone tell me from experience if it's too limiting? I'm in the Western Massachusetts/Southern Vermont/Southeast New Hampshire area.

Thanks,

Jeremy

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi you might put the snares in one ad and the kit in the other .Local pick up will dramatically reduce potential buyers. You could offer a price on the kit and and charge a reasonable price for shipping and if it goes over you would pick up the difference. Because if you don't have the tools and boxes and tape etc, your best bet is to take it to UPS or Fed ex and have them do it, it will be more BUT if something happens they are on the hook for it, as long as it is insured.