Guidelines to buying and selling on DFO, please give a look

mlayton

Night Creature
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
31,711
Reaction score
252
one thing to remember when buying and selling, don't let yourself be pressured into using paypal gift if you don't know someone very well. when you do this, (paypal now calls it family and friends) you have no buyer protection with paypal. its better for you to pay the small fee and have yourself covered in case there are any problems with the transaction. a little thing like this can make a big difference in the end..

mike
 

homeby5

DFO Master
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
6,594
Reaction score
299
Location
Key Largo, Fl
Also, from reading on other forums involving guitar and Bass gear, it is recommended to always use a CC as the funding source even when using a PP transaction. I have read horror stories where PP doesn't reimburse.....Does anyone know if this method is possible or recommended?
 
H

hindadoon

Guest
A lot of good advice and information here.

I don't agree with the "stating your price" comment, and never really understood why that is an issue for some people. Most of the time I don't mind stating a price, but on some of the more expensive items, I'd rather not price it publicly and field a bunch of questions from people that are more or less tire kicking. If someone is seriously interested, they will make the effort to contact me and we can discuss the transaction in private. It seems as though most of the people that get upset that there is no price listed are not truly interested in the first place, and are more or less trying to find out what stuff is selling (or not selling) for.

If a potential buyer really wants an item you're selling, I seriously doubt they will bypass your listing because there is no price listed. If anything, the process will be expedited due to a private discussion.

Having said that, is it now a rule that you have to post your price?

Paul
 

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 31, 2011
Messages
3,646
Reaction score
140
Location
Boston
hindadoon said:
A lot of good advice and information here.

I don't agree with the "stating your price" comment, and never really understood why that is an issue for some people. Most of the time I don't mind stating a price, but on some of the more expensive items, I'd rather not price it publicly and field a bunch of questions from people that are more or less tire kicking. If someone is seriously interested, they will make the effort to contact me and we can discuss the transaction in private. It seems as though most of the people that get upset that there is no price listed are not truly interested in the first place, and are more or less trying to find out what stuff is selling (or not selling) for.

If a potential buyer really wants an item you're selling, I seriously doubt they will bypass your listing because there is no price listed. If anything, the process will be expedited due to a private discussion.

Having said that, is it now a rule that you have to post your price?

Paul
Hi Paul, you bring up an interesting point, I think it really depends on the item, to answer your question, no it is not a rule to post a price.
It's just that most members want to see a price.

Ben.
 

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Joined
Dec 4, 2008
Messages
4,621
Reaction score
90
I think it hurts the seller more than anything to not post a price.
 

homeby5

DFO Master
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
6,594
Reaction score
299
Location
Key Largo, Fl
drawtheline55 said:
drawtheline55, on 14 Dec 2012 - 19:53, said:
AND if there is ever a question, hiccup or a problem with a transaction......CONTACT ME....either buyer or seller, I will dive right into the situation to help get it resolved.
Wow.....I'm surprised you would want to get in the middle of a dispute? That's mighty noble of you. I assume some of it has to do with the legal and ethical responsibilities of owning a website that provides an avenue for monetary transactions. But I'm talking out of my butt because, again, I'm ignorant of this matter. I just give you props for wanting to be a referee.
hindadoon said:
hindadoon, on 29 Dec 2013 - 14:46, said:
A lot of good advice and information here.

I don't agree with the "stating your price" comment, and never really understood why that is an issue for some people. Most of the time I don't mind stating a price, but on some of the more expensive items, I'd rather not price it publicly and field a bunch of questions from people that are more or less tire kicking. If someone is seriously interested, they will make the effort to contact me and we can discuss the transaction in private. It seems as though most of the people that get upset that there is no price listed are not truly interested in the first place, and are more or less trying to find out what stuff is selling (or not selling) for.

If a potential buyer really wants an item you're selling, I seriously doubt they will bypass your listing because there is no price listed. If anything, the process will be expedited due to a private discussion.

Having said that, is it now a rule that you have to post your price?

Paul
I agree completely Paul. It's your gear and sell it the way you want. Why would anyone be concerned at how someone else advertises their gear? If someone feels uncomfortable about making an offer, and they REALLY like your gear, then they can PM you and I would guess you would give them a figure. I believe your strategy is to engage someone in a conversation, any conversation, and then you can hopefully wind them in, all the while weeding out the tire kickers. I'm sure it works sometimes. OTOH, I assume you don't get offended by severe lowball offers, since you invite them by not establishing a price.
 
H

hindadoon

Guest
homeby5 said:
drawtheline55, on 14 Dec 2012 - 19:53, said:
AND if there is ever a question, hiccup or a problem with a transaction......CONTACT ME....either buyer or seller, I will dive right into the situation to help get it resolved.
Wow.....I'm surprised you would want to get in the middle of a dispute? That's mighty noble of you. I assume some of it has to do with the legal and ethical responsibilities of owning a website that provides an avenue for monetary transactions. But I'm talking out of my butt because, again, I'm ignorant of this matter. I just give you props for wanting to be a referee.
hindadoon said:
>>>hindadoon, on 29 Dec 2013 - 14:46, said:
A lot of good advice and information here.

I don't agree with the "stating your price" comment, and never really understood why that is an issue for some people. Most of the time I don't mind stating a price, but on some of the more expensive items, I'd rather not price it publicly and field a bunch of questions from people that are more or less tire kicking. If someone is seriously interested, they will make the effort to contact me and we can discuss the transaction in private. It seems as though most of the people that get upset that there is no price listed are not truly interested in the first place, and are more or less trying to find out what stuff is selling (or not selling) for.

If a potential buyer really wants an item you're selling, I seriously doubt they will bypass your listing because there is no price listed. If anything, the process will be expedited due to a private discussion.

Having said that, is it now a rule that you have to post your price?

Paul
I agree completely Paul. It's your gear and sell it the way you want. Why would anyone be concerned at how someone else advertises their gear? If someone feels uncomfortable about making an offer, and they REALLY like your gear, then they can PM you and I would guess you would give them a figure. I believe your strategy is to engage someone in a conversation, any conversation, and then you can hopefully wind them in, all the while weeding out the tire kickers. I'm sure it works sometimes. OTOH, I assume you don't get offended by severe lowball offers, since you invite them by not establishing a price.
I'm not asking for a "best offer". I always have an amount in mind prior to listing something. I know exactly what I want for an item, and I usually stick to it. I tell the potential buyer what my price is upfront and thats that.. That's not to say I wont negotiate a bit.

Paul
 

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 31, 2011
Messages
3,646
Reaction score
140
Location
Boston
Homeby5, yes i will gladly get right in the middle of an issue....to help straighten it out, for both buyer and seller, so far no issues, and really don't foresee any, just a couple of minor hiccups in which a quick pm took care of it and all was good.

Paul, feel free to offer something up for sale the way you want, and I agree if someone is really interested, they will drop you a pm.

Ben
 

Titus Pullo

DFO Master
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
5,345
Reaction score
838
red66charger said:
Silly question. What's an appropriate amount of time to let pass before "bumping" a listing up to the front page? I have an item about to be bumped to page 3. It has been 5 days. I see some bumps much sooner. Is there a suggested time frame?
I've always used once a week, no matter how busy the board. That probably goes back to a rule on another forum back in the day.

But once a day - or every other day - seems ridiculous to me unless traffic is so busy your FS thread is on page 4 or more the next day.
Imagine if everyone bumped their thread once a day. It becomes a bumping battle. It's silly. And inconsiderate. And obnoxious.
 

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
12,826
Reaction score
646
Location
North of Austin, Texas
I'd like to make a suggestion:

I see folks post "Sold, please delete" while its certainly your option to have your topic deleted I like to look through even the sold stuff sometimes just to see what price stuff went for or just what got sold and look at pictures, sorta a wishlist or catalog of stuff.

I think long ago someone asked if deleting sold items would save memory and either Chris when he still was running things or Ben said that there was no harm in leaving them. I always leave my sold items and do think its nice to change the post title to "SOLD" in case someone isn't familiar if you click on full editor of a post when revising it will open up the title to be able to change it.

Screen shots added
 

Attachments

MatrixClaw

DFO Veteran
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
2,146
Reaction score
47
Location
Mesa, AZ
^+1 to this. Nothing worse than trying to sell something and having utterly no idea what it's worth, since you can't find any records of them being sold anywhere else.
 

Titus Pullo

DFO Master
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
5,345
Reaction score
838
^^ Interesting take on it, and I understand wanting to window-shop or get a feel for prices, so that's cool. Thing is, I usually delete my pictures because buyers will sometimes use them later if they flip the item and without bothering to note they're from a previous sale. Nothing wrong with that unless you feel the pictures should be contemporaneous with the sale. For example, I sold someone a UFiP ride that turned up on Ebay a year later using my pictures. That's the reason for that. Also, I've had requests to edit out the price on items from buyers and I always comply. All of this put me in the habit of deleting the topic post's content after the buyer happily has the item.
 

p83

DFO Veteran
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
2,492
Reaction score
325
Location
tacoma,wa,usa
drawtheline55 said:
Homeby5, yes i will gladly get right in the middle of an issue....to help straighten it out, for both buyer and seller, so far no issues, and really don't foresee any, just a couple of minor hiccups in which a quick pm took care of it and all was good.

Paul, feel free to offer something up for sale the way you want, and I agree if someone is really interested, they will drop you a pm.

Ben
i must say that ben and mr. mlayton went to the mat for me on a deal with a ''challenging'' forum member. it took a while, but there was no quitting, and the situation was resolved. credit where credit is due..........................
 

JeffCosgrove

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
214
Reaction score
5
Location
Florida
One thing I have noticed is that once an item sells, people are editing the original post and removing all description of the itam, and/or changing the name of the thread to SOLD. For me, this does an injustice to those looking for merchandise. I recommend leaving everything as is, simply adding the word SOLD to the front of the thread title if you would like. It just gets hard when searching for an item you want that you saw yesterday, only to find out later that the reason you could not find it (and therefore discover it had been sold) is that the thread title had been changed and all info deleted.

Plus, I just like to see what price something went for in retrospect.
 

MatrixClaw

DFO Veteran
Joined
Feb 3, 2011
Messages
2,146
Reaction score
47
Location
Mesa, AZ
jeff_r0x said:
One thing I have noticed is that once an item sells, people are editing the original post and removing all description of the itam, and/or changing the name of the thread to SOLD. For me, this does an injustice to those looking for merchandise. I recommend leaving everything as is, simply adding the word SOLD to the front of the thread title if you would like. It just gets hard when searching for an item you want that you saw yesterday, only to find out later that the reason you could not find it (and therefore discover it had been sold) is that the thread title had been changed and all info deleted.

Plus, I just like to see what price something went for in retrospect.
+1 to this. I understand people not wanting to say exactly what they sold their item for, but if you advertised it at a certain price at first, you should at least leave it there for a reference of value for anyone trying to selling something similar later IMO.
 

bongomania

DFO Master
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Messages
3,320
Reaction score
347
Location
Portland, OR
I do highly value the ability to look for past prices. I don't care if people want to delete their photos to prevent later reuse, but please leave up your prices.
 

JeffCosgrove

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
214
Reaction score
5
Location
Florida
Frankly, I'd be happy for them to keep the photos as well. I especially like to look at examples of some of the vintage stuff that goes up here.
 

atomicdave

DFO Master
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
6,118
Reaction score
106
Location
Delphi, Indiana
So, this is a drum forum, and the marketplace section is for drum and drum related and possibly music related items. I guess since we have the "other instrument" section that guitars and such are OK to post for sale or trade, but not likely to get sales here. Recording devices, esp for good quality sound/vid or mics, but I'm really not hip to laptops, ipods, etc being in the marketplace....because then what next, puppies and sunglasses? What be your thoughts?
 

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Jan 31, 2011
Messages
3,646
Reaction score
140
Location
Boston
Generally it is demographics, since this is a drum forum, drums have the highest probability of selling, and/or drum related items.
Ebay would be a better place for those items you mentioned, same with say a trumpet or clarinet. We kind of take it a listing at a time, for the most part it is all drums, cymbals, snares etc.

Ben
 

Latest posts



Top