header.nohb.html

"Guilty" - Streisand/Gibb duet

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember this song from 1980? Or better yet, tried to cover it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ltwhdIjAHqU

I was "free associating" last night on YouTube, listening to 70s and 80s pop stuff; a group I play with has been "tasked" with adding more recognizable pop to our repertoire. Got through a bunch of BeeGees stuff and remembered this catchy ditty. It's a complex but funky groove with bars of 5 and 3 (or 7?) tossed in ...... sort of like a Bacharach tune. I never really tried to figure it out for real; sheet music is available online for a price ..... which I'd be willing to pay as long as I knew I was dealing with a reputable site (OnlineMusic?).

I think Steve Gadd played on the original track ...... one of those songs that sticks to your brain like bubblegum on your shoe - authorship attibuted to all three Gibb Bros.

Mike

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice tune. Not your typical mid 80's pop fare.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
But in the LA - Burt Bacharach world of the 80's... not really that unusual either. :)

Speaking of Burt - that's him and then wife, Carole Bayer Sager in the audience around 1:20.

As for the odd meters - yes, if you're counting it in a slow 4/4 (though I'll bet it was likely written in "2" or cut-time) - if in slow 4/4, then added 5/4's and 3/4's it is. More specifically, I believe the fifth and seventh bars of the verses are 5/4 bars and the 2nd bar of the choruses are 3/4 bars.

Very nice IMO

Also from what I can make out lurking in the shadows, I believe it's Chad Wackerman playing drums on this live version.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey dcrigger -

Yeah, good on ya' for spotting Burt in the audience - no accident, I suspect .... that particular cut! Made me think for a moment that it was indeed a Bacharach penned tune. As for the meter: I was counting it in 8ths to try to dope it out, with the cut-time backbeat on "3". But ..... it is written in slow 4/4, if my snooping view of the chart on "Online Music" is correct. And you are correct in that the verse has a 5/4 bar ..... and the chorus a 3/4 bar (although that counts like a long bar of 7 to me). The drums turn around by playing the "and" of 5 in the verse and 3 in the chorus to set up the next downbeat/backbeat. At least ....... I think this is how it works!

I always liked that tune ....... brings back memories of driving madly back and forth on the island of Kauai chasing clouds on a film shoot. A whole 'nother story ....... !

Mike

Reaction score
Great tune to be sure. That whole era of music just makes me smile.
Speaking of Burt and his then wife Carole Bayer Sager - Carole's "Sometimes Late At Night" is an album worth listening to (a few times) IMO.

Billy G.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey backtodrum -

You are right ..... Gadd played on the original album track.

But that live performance in the video I posted is from 1986, and dcrigger nailed it - Chad Wackerman, indeed. Great playing, IMO ......

Check out the creds:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Voice_(Barbra_Streisand_album)

I've been playing along with this track today ..... it's really fun (and challenging!) to try to cop that lazy feel ..... y' kno, take an extra bite of that ham sandwich before each backbeat ...... heh heh .....

M.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i was referring to just the recording. I couldn't get the video to play on my computer.