header.nohb.html

Guitar Center layoffs

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pertaining to MAP, I recently completed several phone purchases through WWBW, a sister company, and was granted 20-25% on everything. This included mics which were already 20% off by the manufacturer, a pre-order of a top tier brand snare, and out of stock items. I found working with a same agent helps. Cascio type deals can be had folks.

As for GC, I gather buying used with any accuracy (real pics/description) will become more challenging.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GC near me has never had a Drum person. That's OK ....I can navigate. But at least they have inventory of sticks and heads and accessories. The Sam Ash which is about 2 miles away has very qualified salespeople but No Inventory- Very little heads, sticks, accessories, cymbals...almost nothing. Salesperson can order whatever you need. Entire store is half empty. Supply chain they say, but GC has plenty.....Go figure?

tnsquint1

Reaction score
Well, the lawyers weren’t stoopid enough to give credit to a music store. J/K!

You forgot the always gracious and friendly bankruptcy trustee who works for free. J/K again.

And, if you think $422 per hour is expensive, try hiring an intellectual property attorney.

That is the truth right there.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The GC near me has never had a Drum person. That's OK ....I can navigate. But at least they have inventory of sticks and heads and accessories. The Sam Ash which is about 2 miles away has very qualified salespeople but No Inventory- Very little heads, sticks, accessories, cymbals...almost nothing. Salesperson can order whatever you need. Entire store is half empty. Supply chain they say, but GC has plenty.....Go figure?
It's still a supply chain issue. What you see at GC could be inventory they've had for 2 years because they placed big orders in 2019, and maybe SA didn't. Now SA is scrambling to fill their shelves. Also, GC is likely first in line when inventory becomes available.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My business had to write off about $500 for their bankruptcy. I’ve received probably 10-ish letters concerning the proceedings. Some were about making claims on your losses etc. Yesterday I got another letter which was the “this matter is over with” letter. In it was a listing of all the vendors and how much they lost, and we will get 10 cents on the dollar for our losses. Some highlights from just the percussion related companies on the list:
DW - 157k
Big Bang - 21k
KHS - 724k
Pearl - 101k
Vater - 7k
Yamaha - 196k
Conn Selmer - 159k (not all percussion)

And the winner.... Oracle Credit Corporation, 929k. I'm guessing that was their line of credit or loans or something.
Two Cascios are owed about 800k. Probably what is owed to them from the sale of the business earlier.

And guess who got paid in full? It starts with law and ends in firm. One guy got $30,000 for 71 hours of "work."

Sorry to derail!
Funny how that works. All the creditors get paid pennies on the dollar but attorneys are in full

FieryLungs

Reaction score
is that the reason? why would you tell them that was (a large part? of your intent
why even mention it...(if you did) to them
GC corporate and local store management both use the substantial discount as a recruitment pitch. Literally every employee I spoke with listed the discount as a main reason for working there. Numerous employees (in front of the store manager) made it crystal clear that they like working 1 day a week just to keep the discount.

So yes, the discount, the networking, and the commission were reasons why I accepted the miserably low wage compared to other specialty retail sales associate positions in my area.

FieryLungs

Reaction score
I think he said that was the only reason he wanted the job , if someone told me that I wouldn’t hire them …
I never said that was the only reason I wanted the job, but there's no reason for you to wonder given that you can verify what I said before misrepresenting my statements.

Regardless, I was negotiating in good faith with Guitar Center and they weren't. I wasn't even an employee and they (the nation's largest MI retailer) were lying to me.

I really feel bad for some of my coworkers. There's a new parent that's coming back from their vacation/birth of their child to find out they're losing their hours and benefits after 5-7 yrs.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
GC corporate and local store management both use the substantial discount as a recruitment pitch. Literally every employee I spoke with listed the discount as a main reason for working there. Numerous employees (in front of the store manager) made it crystal clear that they like working 1 day a week just to keep the discount.

So yes, the discount, the networking, and the commission were reasons why I accepted the miserably low wage compared to other specialty retail sales associate positions in my area.

I had a manager HOUND me to work there, dangling that discount. He knew that I could sell. But something told me to stay away, and I am glad that I did…

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot og GC's don't have inventory.
San Francisco drum dept is literally about half empty.
Whether it's supply chain or credit ,it's anodynes guess.

Skins_in_the_game

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the ratio is for on-line vs in-store sales for them?

I have a Guitar Center near my house, but when I need something I order it on line. In the store you can't find anyone to help you, and a lot of times the item you are looking for isn't in stock at the store.
This is my same experience. Usually have to help my self find drum heads and sticks cause no one is there to help and when I do get help, the look it up, walk to the storeroom and then comeback and say that the item I want is out of stock

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drum department at GC....what's that ?
Actual footage of the GC drum dept.:

1655321243110.png

Actual footage

Last edited:

spazapproved

Reaction score
I use to have the best GC rep.. he'd call me all the time just to make small chat. I'd order parts and drums left and right cause he was a great guy and salesman. Always throwing me deals and making things right if there was wrongs etc... they laid him off a couple years ago and no one has ever called me since. I have over $100k in drums and they lost my business to two competitors who now call me and check on my needs.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use to have the best GC rep.. he'd call me all the time just to make small chat. I'd order parts and drums left and right cause he was a great guy and salesman. Always throwing me deals and making things right if there was wrongs etc... they laid him off a couple years ago and no one has ever called me since. I have over $100k in drums and they lost my business to two competitors who now call me and check on my needs.
I did, as well. They poached my sales guy from the biggest player in the area. As soon as he was gone, so were the good deals and subsequently, my business.