Guitar Center vs. the internet

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a full set of new heads for my Stagestars this weekend. I'm not in a rush to complete the project as of yet, but Guitar Center is running a decent deal on sales over $99 (which I'll be doing on all these heads.) Last time I went to GC to get a few small things like cymbal and hardware polish, their prices were outrageous! I ended up checking prices on my iPhone Amazon app and ordered the stuff online when I got home because it was cheaper, even with shipping. Has anybody comparison shopped heads at GC vs. online lately?

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interstate, musiciansfriend, etc usually have free shipping on items over $99
Yeah that's true. I'm just trying to figure out if I can take advantage of GC's "sale" this weekend and have a new set ready this weekend or if I should just shop online. It's all about $$$.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Interstate, musiciansfriend, etc usually have free shipping on items over $99
Yeah that's true. I'm just trying to figure out if I can take advantage of GC's "sale" this weekend and have a new set ready this weekend or if I should just shop online. It's all about $$$.

Gotcha... don't think I've ever bought heads at GC, but would assume their prices would be the same as online (GC online that is)

zildjian@consol

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really hate GC and for that reason I go to real drum shops for small purchases or online for bigger items.If I need to see something I go to the Percussion Center.

drumedge

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You can order from GC but once you place an order, it's possible that half of that order will be backordered. Secondly, GC is of the devil :lol:

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Music 123 has a sale on some heads right now and there's free shipping (no minimum $). I just got some 12-13-16 coated Emperors for $10.10 each.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Aren't there any drum shops in the Houston area with competitive pricing on drum heads?
At least you're being honest upfront by telling us that whoever sells them to you the cheapest gets your business ... :-(

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
Aren't there any drum shops in the Houston area with competitive pricing on drum heads?
At least you're being honest upfront by telling us that whoever sells them to you the cheapest gets your business ... :-(
Isn't it always about price?

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score

I agree that price isn't everything that is why it is so important to support your local music shop. The independent shops generally have more knowledge and experience to help people who are musicians or want to become better musicians. The big box stores hire and do not product train their staff and often don't care as much about customer loyalty or service.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score

I agree that price isn't everything that is why it is so important to support your local music shop. The independent shops generally have more knowledge and experience to help people who are musicians or want to become better musicians. The big box stores hire and do not product train their staff and often don't care as much about customer loyalty or service.
I 100% agree but when it comes to something like this where I know what I want, it's all about price. The local shops are great for custom parts, help with specialty items, etc.

Maybe I'm just a brutal customer... :icon_smile:

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
Some of the "pro" drum shops will match or beat the box stores prices. Some of the 5 star shops do. Try Fork's Drum Closet. They sometimes do as well as 50% off.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
It's like this with anything you're interested in: Buy online or go local?

Owner-operated (AKA "Mom n' Pop") places offer a *huge* value if you ever need to order anything. Always good in the long run to keep them running. I'm willing to pay a little more for the small stuff, because you usually save a bit on the big stuff.

Everybody (manufacturer, consumer, store) loses when the buying "interface" is a stupid teenager. I came to this conclusion after trying to get a quote for a set of Ludwig's at the shop in Columbus, OH. It shouldn't be *hard* to spend a lot of money, but the kid behind the counter knew nothing and made it painfully difficult.

I try to be loyal to a few online places as well, as it's the only way to get your hands on some smaller brands.

-Ryan

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
+1 for Interstate Music. They've got better everyday prices than Guitar Center or Scam Cash, I mean Sam Ash, and they always ship free on orders over $99.

Mike

Donn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I 100% agree but when it comes to something like this where I know what I want, it's all about price. The local shops are great for custom parts, help with specialty items, etc.

A good, private store deserves your business, period. The only way they can afford to help you when you need those custom parts, etc. is if you allow them to make a reasonable profit on every day sales.

I think you are right when you say "it's all about price" and I would urge you to consider what price you put on good service? Is it worth an extra $5-10.00 on a $100.00 sale to help ensure that the music store you count on can stay in business?

Times are brutal for these independent stores and it's not inconceivable that we will one day have no alternative but big box stores with their limited selection and lousy service or the impersonal on-line vendors. In fact, in some regions that is exactly the only alternatives. I pity the young musicians who do not have a local store in which they can browse and admire new gear, hang with other musicians and take lessons.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score

A good, private store deserves your business, period. The only way they can afford to help you when you need those custom parts, etc. is if you allow them to make a reasonable profit on every day sales.

I think you are right when you say "it's all about price" and I would urge you to consider what price you put on good service? Is it worth an extra $5-10.00 on a $100.00 sale to help ensure that the music store you count on can stay in business?

Times are brutal for these independent stores and it's not inconceivable that we will one day have no alternative but big box stores with their limited selection and lousy service or the impersonal on-line vendors. In fact, in some regions that is exactly the only alternatives. I pity the young musicians who do not have a local store in which they can browse and admire new gear, hang with other musicians and take lessons.
Normally I would agree 100% but I don't need any service when it comes to heads. I've already picked out what I want so it's all about price. But I have bought custom parts before and I would never take that business to GC or an online broker. All I would get is "I don't know what that is so we can't get it." The local stores will actually try to find the part for me and I'll gladly pay what they ask.

Latest posts