header.nohb.html

Guitar Player Tells Drummer

petereather

Reaction score
Hey Guys ; Sad just broke up band had been putting together for many months . 2 of my guitar players stated taking over my band / songs / direction / telling what they wanted the drums to sound changing my fills telling me this is how I hear it telling my base player same thing having me oust one of the original guitar players be cause they made it hard for him to understand what they wanted , they were better , He lost the fun as I did . Then I heard lead guitar player talking the other player into this direction . Remember I built a studio for the band payed for electricity heat air conditioning beer water ice !!!!!!~ . Sad ! Now I have to start over ,

rjinnella

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have been there too. Personnel is better than talent sometimes as long as you have minimum capabilities. Coastie you are correct.

groovemastergreg

Reaction score
It’ll all be good once you find the right mates! Spin that attitude 180 degrees. It’s a blessing this happened now instead of after you’re gigging. Or like the poor bastards in Janes Addiction found out right as they’re about to record their first major label release…that the singer is getting something like 75-84% (memory fails) with the remainder to be split up between the guitarist, drummer and bassist.

groovemastergreg

Reaction score
It’ll all be good once you find the right mates! Spin that attitude 180 degrees. It’s a blessing this happened now instead of after you’re gigging. Or like the poor bastards in Janes Addiction found out right as they’re about to record their first major label release…that the singer is getting something like 75-84% (memory fails) with the remainder to be split up between the guitarist, drummer and bassist.
And we’ve all been there. You’ve already done the hard work. Now find some new players. You’ve got a place to play, etc. smile and say screw them.

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
I left my previous band after the main guitarist had his girlfriend (keyboard player) join the band. We already had a multi-instrumentalist (keys, sax, guitar) and then he added songs that I was not into at all but everyone else was fine with. It was no longer enjoyable for me so I found another band to join. You'll be better off in the long run.

petereather

Reaction score
Thanks Guys Your Words Of support mean a great deal . I told one of the guys who was the most tallented He just does not get it what band mate means .They left this for What?

Attachments

• 20220213_160551.jpg
    20220213_160551.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

rsmittee

Reaction score
I went through a lot of bands when I first started playing. Either they were great guys who weren't on the same page musically (compatible), or great musically and no fun to hang with (chemistry). When I finally found the band that had both the great people to hang with and music I was way into, everything got a lot easier.

Key was that I didn't tolerate nonsense, and rarely lasted more than a few months in a bad situation, and never more than a year, but I made a go of it with all of them just to be out there. The guys I play with today saw me laboring away one night and asked me to come audition. Started playing with them in '93, and we're still going strong. It will work out for you.

Last edited:

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
In my experience it's difficult to have a stable situation with a drummer being the band leader. The guitar player or bass player usually feel they should be leading the band. Sometimes the guy on keys will have that ambition. It's all part of the 'drummers get little respect' issue.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it depends on the band's situation.

If it's an actual "band", where you're all equal members (even if there's someone who is the "band leader"), then each member determines what they play. Other members can certainly suggest things, but the individual has the final call. The songwriter holds the "veto" rule, which is, they can say they don't want to do the song at all. In this situation, band members would all contribute to band expenses (rehearsal space, recording fees, etc.), and split any profit (which may be zero) according to an agreed-upon division.

If it's actually a situation where I'm playing in an artist's backing band, then I'll play what they ask me to play. But in this situation, I don't contribute anything out of pocket to the band, and I expect to get paid, regardless of how much the band did/didn't make. Depending on how much I enjoy playing in the group, that may include getting paid for rehearsals, as well.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
It's the Musicians Shuffle.
But,you've got a little more just the PA!
It may happen again,let it roll off!

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bummer that this happened but you're better off knowing what kind of people they are now rather than when you're more invested and gigging a couple years from now. You've just been spared much more pain and frustration. Find some new mates, practice up, and have fun. Chances are those other guys will have a more difficult time of getting gigs when their true colors are shown to your musical community.

brokenstick

Reaction score
Let these so-called chump ' LEADERS ' pay the players to rehearse and gig. It's a band or a group.