header.nohb.html

Guitar Player Tells Drummer

Pre ‘72

Reaction score
This is exactly why I only make my own music with my best of friends anymore. And they’re all amazing…personally and musically. To me, that’s what it’s all about.

Maybe that’s not realistic for everyone.

Maybe I’m just lucky.

Vicey

Reaction score
This is exactly why I only make my own music with my best of friends anymore. And they’re all amazing…personally and musically. To me, that’s what it’s all about.

Maybe I’m just lucky.
You are very lucky.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a lead singer join a project and essentially ruin it because he was trying to run the show despite contributing nothing except for his “talent”. Gotta love those guys who want to try to run your show.
Too many people don’t fire trouble fast enough …….I’ve learned that if there are issues just move on . People aren’t going to change …

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Too many people don’t fire trouble fast enough …….I’ve learned that if there are issues just move on . People aren’t going to change …

People get sucked in by first impressions and are always hoping that they go back to that first impression, whether it’s bandmates, partners or other people.

Pre ‘72

Reaction score
Man I get it ……Ive become way less friendly at 1st with people myself .

My circle is very small nowadays

My initial comment was kinda judgmental and know it all ish , sorry ….
Aw… no worries man.

Tubwompus

Reaction score
Ah, band drama.
Lawd, how I’ve had a belly full of that.
How hard is it for everybody to just conduct themselves as grown professionals? Do your homework, show up, make sure your own lane is up to the best standard that you can, have some laughs, and play some songs. Am I oversimplifying?

Obviously, if business needs to be gone over, have a meeting at the end or whatever, but it’s not like having to conduct a moon landing. Whenever it gets complicated, it means somebody’s choosing to become a hitch, be it a band member or outside entity like a venue or label or lawyer (or worse, a girlfriend).

Don’t mind me. I record all my own tracks myself unless I’m hearing stuff that I’m years away from being able to play, myself.

Come to think of it, maybe that’s partially why. Hmmm…

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You need happiness, sure, but I’ll never understand why so many musicians think other musicians in the band should have zero input into what they do. Some are just better at arranging. And we all play things from time to time that can be improved, and sometimes we play stuff that flat out sucks.

Some of the best advice I ever got was from musicians who didn’t play my instrument of choice, which is usually bass. Don’t get so offended at it, and don’t get so offended at someone taking a leadership position. Maybe they’re better at it than you.

Now if they’re pompous jerks about, forget everything I said.

petereather

Reaction score
I think we are going down a rabbit hole . As I stated I told every one I wanted a wedding band , That does not include heavy rock . My music was pretty much passed over . My base Player agrees . Brown Eyed Girl . Johnny B Good . Get The Pic 3 weeks prier I asked why we are not working on songs for a wedding band . They just looked at me with no reply so I lost my band at that point . I quit rehearsing there song finally cancelled practice . And now I start over . My base player says he thinks he is coming back picked up another guitar player already have to start learning his songs plus find other members . The sad part is the 2 trouble players were very good for sure 1 of them he could sing the other was tone dead . played good leads . I think I was being used they new what the out come was they aproched my base player the same day he gave no answere .

Last edited:

Tubwompus

Reaction score
I think we are going down a rabbit hole . As I stated I told every one I wanted a wedding band , That does not include heavy rock . My music was pretty much passed over . My base Player agrees . Brown Eyed Girl . Johnny B Good . Get The Pic
I hate that kinda conflict that shows up because the more practically-minded members see that kind of band for what it is, I.e. a service industry. It’s always the guy(s) who want the band to be the vehicle for some “grandiose artistic endeavor” that causes problems. For example, that’s when you start getting self-indulgent “versions” of standard songs that make the wedding guests, etc. think “that’s not how that song goes”. I’ve NEVER heard someone at a gig tell one of those guys “DOOOD!!! Your VERSION of Brown Eyed Girl kicks some SERIOUS…”.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think we are going down a rabbit hole . As I stated I told every one I wanted a wedding band , That does not include heavy rock . My music was pretty much passed over . My base Player agrees . Brown Eyed Girl . Johnny B Good . Get The Pic

I think the only way this reasonably works is with a large initial investment by you. You need hired gun musicians who will show up knowing the songs, and if there's a rehearsal, you're probably going to need to pay then for that. I'm sure you'll want to put together a promotional video of your band playing the songs you'll be playing at weddings. You'll have to pay everyone in the band plus the video / audio engineers for that too. A wedding/variety band is a business much more so than a bar band. Might be a good idea to hire a manager too. And then you'll need to get the band booked to keep the musicians busy. If you're up for all that, I think you can make happen.

petereather

Reaction score
The bands I played in the 80s was all word of mouth friend hires you for a party you agree play super cheep then it goes from there snowball effect . Seams now a says you need to play Bars and the same thing happens . I told the Guys I wanted to put on a free concert at the town Band Shell that I grew up at and let it go from there .

Muns

Reaction score
I think we are going down a rabbit hole . As I stated I told every one I wanted a wedding band , That does not include heavy rock . My music was pretty much passed over . My base Player agrees . Brown Eyed Girl . Johnny B Good . Get The Pic 3 weeks prier I asked why we are not working on songs for a wedding band . They just looked at me with no reply so I lost my band at that point . I quit rehearsing there song finally cancelled practice . And now I start over . My base player says he thinks he is coming back picked up another guitar player already have to start learning his songs plus find other members . The sad part is the 2 trouble players were very good for sure 1 of them he could sing the other was tone dead . played good leads . I think I was being used they new what the out come was they aproched my base player the same day he gave no answere .
You brought it up -

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Maybe I’m just lucky.
Me too , all of us 40 years strong . Although early on our lead needed a attitude adjustment so I locked his SG and LP in a safe until he had a revelation . Took all of 20 minutes .

gwbasley

DFO Master
Reaction score
I played wedding gigs for years and one thing I recall is that, in every case, the band leader had the gig BEFORE assembling a band. That would have made all the difference...having the gigs lined up for the format you chose and then bring in the players. The money would have kept them in line with you in charge.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That’s a whole different story from the way you set out explaining it. In that case, I think you’re totally in the right. But you did bring up them telling you how to play, which seems to be a major issue with many in this thread. So that’s why it went in that direction.