Gummy Lugs!

ellaguru

Reaction score
...no, its not the new candy from Starburst, its whats inside the lugs on a Slingerland 14"x14" 1966 floor tom i just purchased. My guess is a 40 year old glob of Vaseline or something similar. Tension rods exhibit a small amount of rust on the threads as well. Any guidance as to cleaning them properly?

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rubber gloves. Take all the pieces apart. Use paper towels to wipe the gunk off as much as you can. Q-tips for inside the grooves. Then soak all in a hot water/Dawn bath overnight.....
that's for starters! Rusted rods can be cleaned with a metal toothbrush and some WD40.....

Old Dog

Reaction score
Along with the overnight soaking, I would personally add white vinegar. I used aluminum foil and warm water on some used Tama hoops I purchased recently, it got a lot of the mild rust off and shined them up nicely. Something I saw on youtube. Good luck

ellaguru

Reaction score
ill be putting new tension rods on for sure, i just want to do the inner cleaning correctly...and only once!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Along with the overnight soaking, I would personally add white vinegar. I used aluminum foil and warm water on some used Tama hoops I purchased recently, it got a lot of the mild rust off and shined them up nicely. Something I saw on youtube. Good luck
I did an overnight soak in regular vinegar (only, not diluted) and the next day, the chrome had taken on a dull nickel finish - I guess a little would not hurt, but I would not use full vinegar. Luckily, for those parts, I "aged" them a bit more to make them look vintage so it worked out for another project.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure why people never mentions SOS pads. They work great! Maybe they don't have them in the states.

Old Dog

Reaction score
I did an overnight soak in regular vinegar (only, not diluted) and the next day, the chrome had taken on a dull nickel finish - I guess a little would not hurt, but I would not use full vinegar. Luckily, for those parts, I "aged" them a bit more to make them look vintage so it worked out for another project.
Interesting. . .I've not dealt with that yet. Yeah, I don't even use a cup full.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not sure why people never mentions SOS pads. They work great! Maybe they don't have them in the states.
Yikes!!! No!!! SOS = steel wool plus scouring powder. This will scratch your chrome for sure.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you’re going to ‘get in deep’ in the cleaning/polishing part of drums(which I enjoy!) you might want to get yourself a Ultrasonic cleaner and a vibratory polisher.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Make sure to clean out the tension rod inserts as well. You wouldn't believe how much of the gunk from the inside of a lug ends up in there as well. I use brake cleaner to soak the really, really nasty stuff and there's usually whole globs of grease that fall out of the inserts. It's disgusting...