Gutting my kit

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I started off with a Pearl Roadshow kit getting back into it, quickly outgrew that and went with a Decade and better stands, happy with that. I listed the Roadshow locally and no real hits, for $300 with everything out of the boxes.

I don't not like the kit, shells are fine and it sounds good. Mounting hardware is junk. The hi hat stand is ok (vice grip tightening) along with the straight cymbal stand but the snare stand and tom mounting hardware all screw straight into the shaft and... junk.

So plan B, remount the tom/bass configuration. Not in my wheelhouse with drums and I know a lot of you guys tear this stuff down to a science and I'm not afraid to jump into that realm with no experience but I want to ask a couple questions first, cautionary.

Half wondering if I could get that guy to tie dye the shells, that was gorgeous but... question - I looked at the bass mount, seems simple, 4 bolts maybe. Pearl sells that stuff but it's kind of pricey for a low end kit for me. Gibraltar has similar mounts at a fraction of the price, and arms and tom mounts. The toms are mounted with 3 bolts and the bass 4, 7/8 I think.

Before I jump into this is there anything I should think about first? Or is this really standard stuff?

Arm sizes I know but the bolt configuration - is that pretty basic or am I not paying attention to something?

Appreciate the replies.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
A guy showed some pics of toms with tie dyed custom wraps a few days ago, I think it was the canned goods drum guy's next project, but I may be wrong.

There are a few shops that do custom wraps but there's a member here that runs Walopus drum wraps. http://walopus.com/
I don't know if he's got that as an option but he can pretty much print anything on a wrap. Doing a whole kit can get quite pricey but there are tons of great possibilities. Considering the kit is basically free and to be dis-assembled anyway, if it were me, I'd go crazy with it and end up with something unique.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the hardware came in, tom mounts popped in fairly decently, had to get the screws started to pull the mount in but that worked. Win so far.

Bass mount, is off center slightly. Cheap Pearl kit, holes are probably off a little, I messed around with it for a while and tomorrows project at this point. I thought if I could get the screws started it would pop right in like the tom mounts and maybe still.

So I know you guys have done this a million times, this is my first time. The hardware I got was way better than the junk stuff they put on this Roadshow kit and the shells are fine, it just needs better hardware.

I'm not ready to drill it back into balance, I'm thinking of getting longer bolts and pulling the bass mount in. I tried forcing it, gently but no avail.

Any tips would be gorgeously appreciated, thanks.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m so lost as to what you are doing .
Pics would help .
Sorry, I'm trying to mount this thing on the bass drum. It's where the two tom mounts go, the old hardware just basically screwed into the cheap arms, this one is vice grip and I got better arms for it also.

Same mounting setup, just 4 machine bolts that mount it but the holes in the kick don't exactly line up, I'm trying to pop this thing in there and I think it will without wrecking something if that makes sense.

Thinking I should just slam it in there or pry it in there with longer bolts from the other side. I'm asking these questions before I screw it up, I've done that before lol

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... maybe a small cry for help. I figured this was routine with some of you guys, not with me but I ain't skeered.

Replaced the crappy tom mounts on that Roadshow kit with a bit better vice grip Gibraltar mounts, they popped in fine but the backing plate was off square so I just used the stock plates and the replacement Gibraltar arms I got fit right in. Re-headed the toms and they sound pretty good, batter and reso.

Bass tom arm mount is giving me trouble, I can seat it in there but the Gibraltar mount I got I think is beveled a little and doesn't push in. Pics below. I could probably drill the holes bigger which I'm not sure I want to do or I could force it in. I can get the screws mounted but can't hand tighten them enough all the way. I'm thinking of sizing the screw diameter with hex heads and ratcheting it in but I don't know if that would damage the shell.

Any suggestions would be... greatly appreciated, thanks.

Re-wrapping the kit is my maybe next project.

Latest posts