Guys, Need Your Help....

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Forum brothers....I need your opinion on something.

So, I sent my Gretsch RB tom tom shell and snare shell to Precision to have the edges done. I used UPS, who have been pretty reliable for me.

Today, Precision lets me know that the snare shell has been damaged in transit. Attached is a picture of the crack.

Now, to ME, this doesnt look too bad, it looks very fixable. However, I need your opinion. I would have to pay Precision to repair the crack and do the edges. Will this affect the sound of the shell badly?

Is the repair and edge work worth the money, or should I simply tell them not to do anything, and and I will just wait for another Gretsch RB shell to come along, which I could rewrap with Jammin Sam Classic BDP?

Whats the better choice here?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks Bros!
Retro

1631058980840.png

DD

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about that! I’m assuming you’ve already explored recoup cost of the shell (or at least repair) from UPS? What does Precision say about the fix potential? Since you got it to them and in good hands already I’d at least let Precision give it a go. But I’d definitely get cost of repair (erring on conservative side) from Precision and be all over UPS with that info. They really owe you one!

DD

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about that! I’m assuming you’ve already explored recoup cost of the shell (or at least repair) from UPS? What does Precision say about the fix potential? Since you got it to them and in good hands already I’d at least let Precision give it a go. But I’d definitely get cost of repair (erring on conservative side) from Precision and be all over UPS with that info. They really owe you one!
P.s. I’d follow up with UPS first before giving Precision the go-ahead…

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
DD: Precision says they can make the shell usable. My real concern is...is it worth it, or is the crack too big?

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Retro, I don't think it is too big and as others said, I hit up UPS, then, if Precision isn't charging an arm and leg, I'd go ahead with the repair.
However, if UPS is dragging their feet, I would be wary.
I know that sounds wishy washy, but there are orphans out there.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your input. Much appreciated. I'm looking forward to hearing from KO, Jazz Drum Guy, JDA and Tama as well. My inclination is also to let Precision "do their thing".

afwdrums

Reaction score
it looks like all the damage is just the inner plies towards the bottom of the cut of the bearing edge, and not in the part of the edge that actually makes contact with the head...the damage is no doubt unfortunate, but unless it's worse than it looks in that photo, it's somewhat superficial...I don't see why that wouldn't sound just like it did before post-repair (actually, it'll be better with the new edges)...would love to see photos post-repair, I bet the repair will hardly even be visible, especially if they touch up the silver sealer...good luck!

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with "fixable" and "superficial." And I'd be surprised if that even altered the sound once properly glued and clamped....using a pretty deep syringe/needle. And precision might even be able to get a good match
on the "aged silver sealer" to blend over the missing paint.

Unless UPS packed the drum won't they just say the drum was improperly packed and it's not their problem? They delivered the package.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Sorry that happened. I would agree with going ahead with repair if you you want to pay for it regardless of the outcome by UPS, but have Precision take more pictures of damage/packaging, and estimate to repair. Did you take pictures of the ‘packing of the drum‘ and feel confident in your packing and insure for correct value? You really have to pack bullet-proof. Sadly it’s a tough battle with UPS. Best of luck to you.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have it fixed. Best case scenario ups pays to replace it or fixes it. Worse case ups doesn’t do crap. Still I’d get it fixed regardless

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Unless UPS packed the drum won't they just say the drum was improperly packed and it's not their problem? They delivered the package.
Agreed, If you packed it seems there's little you can negotiate about. The damage does look very fixable and I also think you should let Precision take a crack at it. (Can't believe no one used this pun yet. You guys are slipping for sure)
Good luck. Pictures afterwards please. New edges will bring both back to life.

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A properly glued wood joint is stronger than the initial wood. If Precision is confident they can make a good repair, I would believe them. You were already planning on recutting edges so originality is a non concern. Why waste a good shell?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I am sure it is fixable. Might as well since it's already there so no bench fee nor additional shipping cost. Curious to know their price to fix that? Also, is this going to be a drum that you're going to keep or sell because it's obviously damaged. On the other hand, with Precision's great reputation, if you say it was repaired by them, people will understand they do top-notch work. I've used them multiple times in the past.

As for UPS, good luck there. You're going to need multiple photos of the packaging, the box, and the damage. Crappy as it sounds, it may not be worth the hassle. Trust me, I'm all for going after them but it's going to be tough from what I've read in the past. They're just going to deny it and try to blame anything other than Transit causing that damage. Maybe I'm Wrong. Let us know about both. Looking forward to seeing the drums when they're done!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks Fellas! Actually, I'm not going to pursue any shipping damage stuff...its a pointless exercise unless they packed it, which they didnt. But yes, I will have Precision do the repair and the edges. At the end of the day, the snare should sound better than it has for 30 years. Which is the point of the whole gig! Thanks for your encouraging comments. :)

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That damage to the shell is easily repairable , your trust in the shipping services however may never heal completely . I know mine wouldn't .

poco rit.

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you pls pls pls post a pic of the final results? I have a drum that looks almost exactly like that. I just put heads on it and it sound fine. But i always wonder what Precision might be able to do to with it.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi Poco. Sure, be glad to. It will be a little while until they are done tho...

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the box was badly mangled, then I think you have a case, or at least an outside shot, with UPS. Broken boxes are on them, not your packing. Did Precision keep the box?

Precision did a very nice repair on one of my FT's, so you're in good hands there.