Guys, Need Your Help....

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am under the impression that you can get a somewhat easy $100 from UPS for this kind of stuff. Might ease your pain.

I agree with the repair-it crowd.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great news: because I'm having the edges and snare beds redone, the nice folks at Precision are going to fix the crack basically for free. They told me the crack is no big deal, and I am sure the drum it will sound better than it has in 50 years.
They are also doing the edges on my 13 inch tom.

I'm happy again!

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
UPDATE:

The wonderful folks at Precision have returned the snare and tom shells to me with the edges recut and the crack fixed.
The results are great. The edges look FANTASTIC, so much better than the dented, chipped, uneven edges there were before. The crack was fixed and done so well that on the ply edge you can not tell there ever was a crack.
I dabbed a little silver model paint over the repaired crack on the inside of the shell. If I sand that smooth and use the correct aluminum paint, it would be unnoticable. I'm tempted to sand the entire inside of the shell and repaint.

Heres pic of the snare shell ...look how great it came out!

Attachments

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ok, a few of my forum brothers have asked me to post pics of the repair. Here ya go! I have quick sanded the area inside the shell where the crack was. Since that rubbed all the paint off, I just gave it once over with a silver sharpie.

Notice something: You can hardly tell there was ever a crack!!! The sharpie just looks like tape residue. If I ever sand the entire inside of the shell and repaint, it will be 100% gone. I'm actually tempted to find someone to sand the entire inside and repaint with Aluminum paint.

Precision not only did the edges, but fixed the crappy Gretsch snare beds. Many years ago, I had Nodar Rode here in NYC do another Gretsch RB snare I had, the difference in sound was like night and day.....it went from tubby and indistinct to very crisp with a great attack. I'm sure this will be the same.

This all turned out much better than I ever hoped for. Thanks for all your encouragement. it cost me a few bucks but so what? We all just went through a pandemic.

Heres a pics before and after. You can imagine how happy I am....

Enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited: