header.nohb.html

HACKED MEMBER ALERT -- ALL MEMBERS SHOULD TURN ON 2-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As with most things, if the incentive is removed or scamming becomes almost impossible, the criminals go somewhere else.

cayjarlson

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the Google authenticator only if you're accessing the forum on your smart phone? Probably a stupid question.

I'm usually on a desktop and typically stay logged on. Occasionally, when I'm mobile I'll access the forum on my phone.

I enabled two step verification using my email address.
Good question. No, it’s not only for mobile. In this case, the Google Authenticator app would be used for any situation where you need to log in (desktop or mobile, your device or one at a library, etc). For instance, I have 6 accounts set up in Google Authenticator. Some for work, some for personal stuff. I pull out my phone when I need a code to log in. I’d also note that there are desktop-only or desktop-first alternatives to many “2FA” mobile apps.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about Google Authenticator is that you can't back it up. I liked LastPass's Authenticator because you could. It sucks if you change phones or something and your 2FA is unavailable. Unfortunately, LastPass started charging to use their products on multiple devices, so I moved all my passwords into BitWarden.

Slingerland3ply

Reaction score
why does DFO web site note that the e mail method is not as good as an app? in the password area of DFO ?

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Probably because if the hacker has your login to DFO they may also be able to access your email.
I would think that's only the case if the login information for the two is similar/weak. To me it seems doing everything through a phone puts your stealable identity right there along with your social activity. Of course, I don't do anything through a smartphone since I refuse to let one into my life.

I go so far as to have a cheap laptop that's dedicated to financial logins. I never do any banking or investing on another machine, and I never browse for anything else on that finance computer other than those few sites.

Convenience is the crack in the security wall.

Last edited:

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mods

Please check on TylerPaul account.
He suddenly has 7 posts in the drums for sale forum, which is nothing exceptional, however the payment options requested are the same that were being used by the hackers.

May want to check to make sure everything is legit.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you stay logged in all the time will this thwart hacking attempts? This is assuming you don’t interact on marketplace with the hacker.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you stay logged in all the time will this thwart hacking attempts? This is assuming you don’t interact on marketplace with the hacker.
arnold 6th day clone.jpg

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
REQUEST: does anyone know the member Cauldronics?
The account listed several items for sale at prices that were too good to be true and specified PayPal F&F or Zelle for payment. I have suspended the account to see if anyone can contact this member through another means like email or Facebook/Instagram.

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
For the record, I have never bought or sold anything on marketplace. I never intend to, either.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t get this reply. Could you explain?
I imagined someone interacting with their own hacker. In the movie The 6th Day, Arnold plays both a character and a clone of the character. They eventually come face to face.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Any chance of increasing the duration for 'trust this device'? 30 days may not seem like much, but between my phone, my laptop, and my desktop it gets a trifle annoying.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
there was two 404 Gateway errors today; I even went to "Is It Down?" and it reported DFO was down. Either was a Fluke or it recovered quickly/ just wanted to mention/