Had a fun sold out show tonight with my Petty band and met a fellow DFO brother

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
We played at a local city Arts Center and sold out the show. I was able to get a ticket for fellow DFO brother, JazzDrumGuy, Sargis. Played all the TP hits with my Crav maple kit to a very enthusiastic crowd. Tons of fun at a beautiful venue. Sargis happened to be sitting with my wife and is a lovely guy.
Just a superb evening.

67A30B4B-F29C-4785-814C-1F9A63BD91A2.jpeg

B9461DDB-E7BD-49E0-8D05-EB7E146CCEF7.jpeg

97849B3C-1D37-43BB-B495-04BE4615B488.jpeg
DA916BCA-F6E8-41EA-AE9F-4E067A22B8F2.jpeg
CF1C4805-32B8-4180-B59D-21B09001B490.jpeg
IMG_9951.JPG
IMG_9955.JPG
978EAC60-E5BD-4574-97A2-CA19A571198E.jpeg
Dandrumscropped.PNG
IMG_9952.JPG

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I saw the post, I was very was excited to go see this band, but it sold out so I was bummed. I was at a work convention and did not want to have to deal with hanging out with a bunch of stiffs in suits. A few hours later, the Drum Gods reached out to me and somehow, magically, a ticket landed into my lap! I walked from my hotel in SF to the subway, took nearly an hour ride over and then an Uber and I made it with five minutes to spare! I first met Dan's wife and she was very sweet.

The show simply rocked! Great venue, maybe 300 seats, intimate yet loud. Great lighting. The band of 6 was great. Great stage presence and interaction with the crowd.
I have to say that Dan is a consummate player. Solid pocket and time even on some creative tricky beats. He played many fills and songs the "right" way, but he and the band had interesting arrangements that were very cool. Lot of crowd energy and vibe - they are definitely a live band! I even heard a few Petty songs I'd never heard before. Today, I was singing many of the songs because it was just that good! And the Craviotto kit looked and sounded killer...wow!!

The best part was actually meeting Dan after the show. I met the entire band and then he took me backstage. I got to see the entire kit up front from the driver's seat. Just a gorgeous kit with amazing grains! Watching him tear down with surgical precision was fascinating. He knew his gear, gave me play by play, showed me gadgets, gear and techniques, and yet was packing quickly. I was staying out of the way but tried to throw a hand in there to "assist". He had a cart and 2 massive SBK coffins full of gear by the time we rolled to his car.

I had to Uber back to catch the last subway but Dan insisted on taking me himself despite it being nearly 11PM and after a long energetic set. I was able to make it to my subway just in time and got back to my hotel just before midnight a la Cinderella. However, on the drive, we were talking shop and literally could have driven and talked drums all night!

Dan refused ticket money and gas money. He was gracious, kind, generous and quite an interesting fellow. I very much appreciate it and thank you again for a rockin' time!

20211120_205351.jpg
20211120_215759.jpg
20211120_220630.jpg

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! It was a pleasure and hopefully we'll get to do a hang sometime. Maybe a DFO NorCal get together. Now that would be fun! It's fun talking drums isn't it? So much fun that the venue had to practically kick us out at the end ;-) Let's do it again!

Quai34

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! It was a pleasure and hopefully we'll get to do a hang sometime. Maybe a DFO NorCal get together. Now that would be fun! It's fun talking drums isn't it? So much fun that the venue had to practically kick us out at the end ;-) Let's do it again!
And a real HAMMOND + Leslie on top of the fact that there is a key player....While usually, especially with the trend occuring in double bass at max speed formulate metal, ghee is not really room off it, so, double congrats!!!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
And a real HAMMOND + Leslie on top of the fact that there is a key player....While usually, especially with the trend occuring in double bass at max speed formulate metal, ghee is not really room off it, so, double congrats!!!
Actually, it's a Hammond digital double decker (SKX) in a faux B3 case. Quite ingenuous actually. No Leslie. It's a very cool case that was built specifically for that keyboard. He only uses the case. on special nights which last night was certainly one....
The SKX gives him all the pianos and synth's he needs as well as that Hammond sound. He has a Nord, but really prefers the SKX.

IMG_9920.jpg
IMG_9922.jpg

Last edited:

Steech

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I love the kit. I can just picture you using that holy crash right above your floor tom on Night Watchman (if you guys play that one).

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks to be a picture perfect venue for a band like you folks. I love the sit down crowds, you know you have serious listeners there and they're watching you like a hawk!
Great to see you out and playing live...very nice stage presence as well.

What was the purpose of the event?..fund raiser..benefit..etc??

Last edited: