Half Hour Snare Drum Routine

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm looking for a practice routine for snare drum that would last around half an hour..Hopefully work it in about four times a week during practice time. Not sure what to focus on. There is too much choice out there when deciding what to choose and work on progressively.
Would you suggest mainly rudiments? Working on speed? The same routine every night for a specific time period, or changing/alternating routines...
So, as I said before, it's not what I choose, per se, but how I work on what I choose over time, etc...
Any ideas would be appreciated

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did some reading on line a few weeks back to get some fresh ideas. One guy chose several rudiments which included singles, doubles, paradiddles, triplets, and alternating 6 strokes (LRRLLR or RLLRRL). I've incorporated those into my 30 min routine on the pad. Actually, I got that from another thread here on the same subject.

I like to start with double strokes, triple strokes, and quad strokes to watch my hand technique and that the sticks are tracking tightly. That's also good for loosening up. After those I move to paradiddles, 6 strokers from above, and various double stroke rolls like 5,7,9's. Some flap taps/double taps too. I'll move back and forth between them. It needs to be fun and a variety so you want to do it. At times I'll toss in 6,8,12 strokes per hand just to do it. I did learn all 26 rudiments long ago.

Usually finish up with single stroke rolls focusing on being relaxed while slowly increasing the speed. It should feel loose and effortless when you're near the end...like the sticks are moving on their own. And then back to double stroke rolls pushing to my top/accurate speed for a bit. I do find that after 20-45 min of this in front of the TV my hands/wrists are pretty relaxed and moving well. Each week I do note that I'm better than the work before. The hard part is making sure you do it every day. It's not so much what you do, but that you do something with conviction and a critical eye to technique, form, balance, etc. You just became better at monitoring yourself and what you need to do next.

Not critical to push speed....as repetition at moderate speeds locks in muscle memory. Rob "beatdown" Brown has a practice youtube video where he does just 25 minutes straight on a clean and moderate 180 bpm double strokes. The fact that you're going that long...is muscle memory...which eventually gives you more speed.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Whatever you start with, you need to finish your last 5-6 minutes qith Tommy Igoe's "Great Hands for a Lifetime". This runs down most of the rudiments in an organized and somewhat musical context.

You may spend your snare time learning the 5 minute drill and working it up to the 5 minute tempo.

Omce you have it down it is a great exercise to finish a session with. Notice I said finish with as you will want to be warmed up at least a little bit before running this down at tempo.

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alan Dawson's "Rudimental Ritual" is a great option as well. Depending on the speed you do it, the complete work out clocks in at anywhere from 21-14 minutes.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
jmpd_utoronto said:
Alan Dawson's "Rudimental Ritual" is a great option as well. Depending on the speed you do it, the complete work out clocks in at anywhere from 21-14 minutes.
Thanks! I'll give it a look..

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Roch

Your thread has been bugging me for the past several days. I finally figured out why.

Years ago I came up with a chart to go through Stick Control. A way to keep it fresh and not as tedious as line after line of 8th notes or other, etc. Also with a plan to make it as doable as possible and still cover everything in the book over a given time.

This may be the half hour workout you were looking for.

I had to do a little digging but I finally found it on an old flash drive.

I'm going to start a new topic and hopefully I can get it to past into the forum and share.

Hope you like it

chris

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
cworrick said:
Roch

Your thread has been bugging me for the past several days. I finally figured out why.

Years ago I came up with a chart to go through Stick Control. A way to keep it fresh and not as tedious as line after line of 8th notes or other, etc. Also with a plan to make it as doable as possible and still cover everything in the book over a given time.

This may be the half hour workout you were looking for.

I had to do a little digging but I finally found it on an old flash drive.

I'm going to start a new topic and hopefully I can get it to past into the forum and share.

Hope you like it

chris
Thanks..I have downloaded Tommy Igoe's exercises on pdf..great resource..have already done some of it two nights in a row..I picked half an hour as a time frame to work solely on hands so I could also work on other things during the hour or so I spend on practice per session..Looking forward to checking it out..