Halftime Show....

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's a great pop songwriter with a great voice. What he doesn't have is the sort of riveting stage presence that some previous performers have had-- thinking Prince, of course, but also Bruce, Bruno Mars, Beyonce. To my mind, if you're going to have that sort of spectacle you also need someone "big" in the center of it all, and I don't think The Weeknd has that thing. I'd love to see him with a live band in a club.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think he's a great pop songwriter with a great voice. What he doesn't have is the sort of riveting stage presence that some previous performers have had-- thinking Prince, of course, but also Bruce, Bruno Mars, Beyonce. To my mind, if you're going to have that sort of spectacle you also need someone "big" in the center of it all, and I don't think The Weeknd has that thing. I'd love to see him with a live band in a club.
Michael Jackson was the gold standard.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a certain era, yeah. I'll take Prince over MJ eight days a week, and not just because of MJ's scandals. Prince just had EVERYTHING.

But that's the kind of person, for sure. You HAD to watch MJ when he was performing. I was constantly looking over The Weeknd's shoulder to see what other interesting stuff was happening.

Michael Jackson was the gold standard.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For a certain era, yeah. I'll take Prince over MJ eight days a week, and not just because of MJ's scandals. Prince just had EVERYTHING.

But that's the kind of person, for sure. You HAD to watch MJ when he was performing. I was constantly looking over The Weeknd's shoulder to see what other interesting stuff was happening.
Prince was otherworldly. I prefer Prince over MJ everyday and twice on Tuesday. Performance wise, MJ had that part down. But Prince is the diamond, triple platinum standard. I am a huge Prince fan.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

As he promised, really immersive, and he paid with his own money for that, because the production budget couldn't cut it.

Love the sound (use proper headphones) and that 13x6,5 20 ply Pearl snare is really killing it.

Also, LOVE that he was singing live. Not super strong, but with all that going on, really appreciate this.

http://instagr.am/p/CLA3k2MhgQL/

That being said.

For me, nothing beats legend MJ. There is a reason Prince was named Prince (by himself) and MJ was crowned King (by the world).

But I always love the production of the halftime show. Really a military operation.

I think The Weeknd and band sound pretty good in the video. Yeah the white masks look funny but artists have to try new things. Some ideas work better than others. But overall I think The Weeknd was singing very well.

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
I don't think any of it was live....when he talked, sure, but, there's times when he was off his mic a bit...music was for sure canned...for 5 minutes after I had a strange high end thing going on in my ears, seriously, it was very shrill sounding....the mix gave me ear fatigue...happy for Brady though..

cheers and blessing, Trey

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was with about 10 people yesterday, a mixed crowd, and nobody paid any attention to the halftime show, which says about all you need to know about the weekend.

And for that matter, nobody was paying much attention to the commercials either, when just a couple of years ago, people were riveted to them. Just seems like a general decline of the NFL since Goodell took over the helm.

Last edited:

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think any of it was live....when he talked, sure, but, there's times when he was off his mic a bit...music was for sure canned...for 5 minutes after I had a strange high end thing going on in my ears, seriously, it was very shrill sounding....the mix gave me ear fatigue...happy for Brady though..

cheers and blessing, Trey
I agree Trey. It was all canned. Some singers do a better job of miming, and the vocal mic is hot between songs so they can interact with the audience, but the actual performance music (including vocals) is canned.

The halftime show is timed right to the second. There’s no time to mess around with mics feeding back, etc. The Who did an outstanding job fooling people (me included!) because they mimed so closely to their pre-recorded live show. Last night wasn’t even close. The violin players? And the drums sounded highly processed and compressed. Either a hybrid acoustic/electronic set up or acoustic drums triggering all electronic drums through the house. It didn’t matter to me because my man TB won ring #7!

Hi Trey! :)

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It wasn't that great of a performance musically (I liked the music, personally, but the audio quality left something to be desired), but I enjoyed the scale of it and the whole production of it.

I'm going to say the same thing I said in the NYE performances threads. These performances aren't for you guys, it's for the younger demographics. They're trying to appeal to their target audience.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't watch halftime shows, for this reason - they all suck anymore. Less than zero interest, I avoid it like teh covids.

Didn't watch the game either, had way too many things to do. Installing a proper gate latch, fixing a couple of broken fence planks and tightening down my shuffles and fills > Tom FRIGGEN BRADY!! winning another FRIGGEN LOMBARDI...

GAH!

Ox Han

Reaction score
There was a game yesterday?
Yeah, Manchester City vs Liverpool. People are using new nicknames for them. I think people are calling Man City the buccaneers due to the ship in their logo and calling Liverpool the chiefs because they were top of the table last season. Apparently there was also an early Halloween celebration somewhere to honor the weekend. I don't get it

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did not see the half time but gotta agree that PRINCE is 10x the musician/performer that MJ was. I listen to lots of oldies radio around the house and they play TONS of MJ. I really dug BILLIE JEAN back in the day (a truly groundbreaking song/video) and my daughter had the THRILLER album, so MJ was always on my radar.

BUT... (aside from BILLIE JEAN) MJ's catalog has not held up. "Oh God, not THRILLER or DON'T STOP TILL YOU GET again!"

Plus, his stuff from the J5 is just completely obnoxious.

Prince has better songs and was a MONSTER musician.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO, the seven mil that came out of we’s wallet was well spent...or so I’ve been told. I was out on my road bike havin’ a blast. Now I realize why the roads were empty for a Sunday...cars and bikes.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Weekend is talented, has a good voice, and appreciate that he forked over the coin, and has a message, but.....

National Anthem: Whitney
Halftime: Prince, or MJ, or Bruno

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a spectacle, and the guy's talented. Just not my cup of tea.

I wish they would bring the marching bands back. Let them do their thing. Talented individuals/groups that wouldn't otherwise get that kind of exposure.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kdgrissom how cool!!!!
Ron_M totally agree!!! I teach a lot marching percussion, and that would be great! I remember playing for a lot of the Bears and Cardinals games back in college and it was awesome.