header.nohb.html

Hammering a blank

BenjiDrums

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I bought a blank on Reverb… an anvil and some hammers and let’s see what happens!

Question though: if the blank is all warped and wiggly (see photo)… do they get back into shape by hammering!? I don’t have a press (obviously) so wondering how it’s going to be more cymbal like from its current shape.

Anyone experienced on this!?

Attachments

• 2E87FEA8-F263-409B-91EB-E0C6AA06A06C.jpeg
    2E87FEA8-F263-409B-91EB-E0C6AA06A06C.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 74

Rock Salad

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that hammering is used to create the profile, but I have never done any myself. Super interesting! Wow

mbettis

Reaction score
Yep, that's how they start. As you start to stretch the metal with each hammer strike, it will start to gain the profile you are looking for. It takes thousands of strikes, so be patient. Consistency of strike density and force will be key. If you over-stretch an area, you have to stretch everything else to match it. So, take it slow and easy.

Matt

BenjiDrums

Reaction score
Yep, that's how they start. As you start to stretch the metal with each hammer strike, it will start to gain the profile you are looking for. It takes thousands of strikes, so be patient. Consistency of strike density and force will be key. If you over-stretch an area, you have to stretch everything else to match it. So, take it slow and easy.

Matt
Thanks Matt! I got a 21” ride and in retrospect should have started with like a 16” crash LOL

Bronzepie

Reaction score
Thanks Matt! I got a 21” ride and in retrospect should have started with like a 16” crash LOL
A 21 might just be better, it shapes up more slowly, a 16 could whip into some shape, good or badly so fast you might not have time to see it coming. Maybe not easier at least slower. Don’t use a hammer face that makes deep dents, it’ll move the bronze quickly, I feel you need one that’s flatter (flatter than is intuitive) and slowly spreads the bronze. Be careful not to over work the underside, and pay attention to not over hammering any single area, as Matt said. Usually the first timers biggest mistake. Think spreading/displacement rather than bending. It’s about the outward spread of material causing the profile lift generally speaking. It’s a forward moving process, not much can be undone later. Take breaks and go slowly, study the movement.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You are a brave soul. I don’t think I could ever do that. I’d rather just criticize other people’s work :)