Hammering for a specific result

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have an oldish ride that I’d like to get a bit more crash sound from. More trash and hiss, less gong. I’ve been experimenting with hammering cymbals, enough to be comfortable doing it, but not enough to know what kind of results I’ll get. Any tips for more crash?

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not expert but more hammering I think would lead to a dryer/warmer sound and not get you more hiss.

I think the lathing might contribute to that.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm no pro by any means, but what I've learned from trial & error is hammering from the top tightens up the sound/ping and hammering from the bottom makes it more open, washy and trashy.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Proprietary information me thinks.
Cup size, bow, taper and weight seem to play big into cymbal designation.
I heard somewhere all those cymbal smiths have a secret handshake they use before sharing any information.
The passsword leaked though, it's "Death to ALL"

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh, of course the shape all around has a massive role in the sound, but I’ve got rides that crash and crashes that ride and they have the same basic profile as an old Zildjian ride like the one under the hammer today.

mbettis

Reaction score
For more crash, I would hammer to lower the profile (a huge PIA, but do-able if you have the inclination), and then put it on a lathe to cut in more taper.

Matt

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool! When you say “lower the profile” do you mean make it flatter, with less curved bow?

mbettis

Reaction score
Correct. To really accomplish that task, you'll have to stretch the diameter with a ton of light edge hammering. Like I said..... PIA!

Matt

Dougie Stix

Reaction score
I tried hammering my hats one time. Was not pleased. Then I bent the lip of the bottom hat up and down like that certain series of rock hats, drawing a blank on them...anyway it sounded horrible. Decided I'd be better just finding the one that sounds how I want. But if you have an old cymbal, why not. Which reminds me I've got a few, might try some stuff!

Latest posts