Hand Exercises

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These are great! Reminiscent of Accents & Rebounds - these kinds of exercises really helped me get Full strokes, Downstrokes, Upstrokes and Taps ingrained into my hands.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also, I ran across on old David Garibaldi article in Modern Drummer, where he takes Swiss Army Triplets and moves accents around. You read lines in Syncopation or Modern Reading Text, while the triplets go over the bar.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember some of these you used to share at 'Ologist. Some (maybe) most of them are still beyond my hamfisted lack of finesse, but doing some dumbed down version (or at least remembering to work on accenting "different" strokes within otherwise "normal" patterns) seems to be useful for me.
Semi related I came up with this last night, as I didn't feel like busting out the full volume kit work (I had gotten in an hour on the kit earlier in the day). Not challenging for most of y'all, but it kept me engaged, as basing it around such a great melody allowed me to sing along in my head and keep it musical - I'd be very surprised if I was the first person to come up with this.

flam.JPG

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe you weren't the first but it's still cool. The fact that you can sing along with it makes it all the more valuable. I like that the stickings reverse on each line.
My next question is how would you orchestrate it on the kit?

It's a 36 note phrase right, or (in 4/4) 9 beats of four 16th notes. In 3/4 it's three full bars of 16th notes. What about starting with just playing in 3/4 the bass drum on 1 and the high hat on 2 and 3 and then playing the line (melody) with that. Simple right. I just tried it...not that simple. :)
That's in 3/4. If you think of it as 9 beats in 4/4 try the bass drum playing 1 and 3 hat on 2 and 4. You need to play both lines just as you wrote it to get the bass drum back on one. Maybe a slow samba pattern in 4 on the BD would sound cool too.

So your playing the Blue Rondo (2223) exercise in a 3/4 context or 4/4 context. Tricky because it's a nine note phrase.
See what you started! :)

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jeezus, Sinc. I'm gonna have trouble just putting the bass drum on downbeats and keeping it clean in 9/8. Slow your tits, bubba.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haha... as I would as well. Ok once you get it clean I know you can play downbeats with the bass drum in 4/4. Combine them and baddabing... women will be after you to father their love child.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
hmm. I thought he was going to go to 9.
That's an excellent little vid tho,

Last edited:

jakeo

Reaction score
Very nice - thanks. Now that we're all in the shed these come in very handy. During this time I've really forced myself to work on things I can't do well or at all and I'm seeing big dividends.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
For those trying to improve their double bass technique, you can do these with your double bass/pedals.

Drumming techniques
Carey's popularity among drummers and non-drummers alike stems from the diversity of his sound and dynamics through his years of learning jazz music, his technical ability, frequent use of odd time signatures, polyrhythms and polymeters. He has stated in interviews that he effectively treats his feet as he does his hands: he practices rudiments (used for sticking techniques) and even snare drum solos with his feet to improve his double bass drumming, hi-hat control and foot independence.

Last edited:

jacksonlogan1

Reaction score
I remember some of these you used to share at 'Ologist. Some (maybe) most of them are still beyond my hamfisted lack of finesse, but doing some dumbed down version (or at least remembering to work on accenting "different" strokes within otherwise "normal" patterns) seems to be useful for me.
Semi related I came up with this last night, as I didn't feel like busting out the full volume kit work cyberpunk clothing (I had gotten in an hour on the kit earlier in the day). Here this is a not challenging for most of y'all, but it kept me engaged, as basing it around such a great melody allowed me to sing along in my head and keep it musical - I'd be very surprised if I was the first person to come up with this.

View attachment 441275
These are great! Reminiscent of Accents & Rebounds - these kinds of exercises really helped me get Full strokes, Downstrokes, Upstrokes and Taps ingrained into my hands.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's another one for the thread readers.

Accents throughout are the 1st note of a group of three. Play it with single strokes first to get the feel of the accents changing positions.
Metronome recommended. Then experiment with the other stickings. Easy to understand but still a challenge to make it sound clean especially when paying the alternate stickings. This one's suppose to be fun... like watching your girlfriend do your laundry fun.

Accent Ex.jpg