Hang Drum and HandPan

Serene Metal

Reaction score

Listen with good speakers or headphones.
Love these things. Sooooooo much fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Cool... a steel drum taken to the next level.

Serene Metal

Reaction score
Yeah they are really amazing. The only problem is that there is about a 5-6 year wait to get one from the makers. Intense.... Each one of the dimples actually has three notes instead of just one like the steel pan. lots going on with these guys.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a Hank Drum.......Kind of a very cheap generic version of the Hang Drum. Fun little drum. I used it at a lot of gigs and my drumline borrowed it for a marching band show.

I sold it to a former student of mine about 5 years ago......and I miss it.

Serene Metal

Reaction score
Lazmo said:
How much do they cost?
If you get it from the maker, anywhere from 2-3K. But that also means you would have to wait for years and years to get one and most likely have to go to a foreign country to pick it up when its ready. If you want to get one now you would have to get one off of ebay and that can go as high as 7-8K and then you can never get it tuned again. I have three but was lucky enough to get them before all the craziness started with them.

rikkrebs said:
I had a Hank Drum.......Kind of a very cheap generic version of the Hang Drum. Fun little drum. I used it at a lot of gigs and my drumline borrowed it for a marching band show.

I sold it to a former student of mine about 5 years ago......and I miss it.
Hank drums are lots of fun but dont have nearly the same quality as the Hang or a HandPan. I actually make Hank drums although most call them "Tongue Drums" now. Serenemetal.com Mine are way different than 95% of the other tongue drums out there. Its a lot closer to the Hang or Handpan but still not even close to having all the awesome harmonics involved. However, there is almost no wait time and its way way way cheaper.

Tongue drums have cuts in the drum to make notes where as the Hang and HandPans are hammered into tune sort of like a steel pan. The handpans have three notes in each dimple, the root note, its octave, and the octave's fifth. You can actually isolate the octaves and fifths within each tone circle. This guy is a master at it and shows how to isolate the notes at around 42-44 second mark. check it out. you can also get the center "ding" to sing like a wine glass with vinegar.

I really wish I knew how to build the Handpans. hahaha Easy street after that.

jclarkombrog

Reaction score
Greetings everyone! You seem to be good at playing these drums! you know what? i bought something similar like your drum, it is a steel tongue drum that is made up of a profane tank! it would be great if u guys can check out my youtube video and maybe someday i can make a cover of playing it :D

&feature=youtu.be

mariz

Reaction score
jclarkombrog said:
Greetings everyone! You seem to be good at playing these drums! you know what? i bought something similar like your drum, it is a steel tongue drum that is made up of a profane tank! it would be great if u guys can check out my youtube video and maybe someday i can make a cover of playing it :D

&feature=youtu.be
Bulat Gafarov loves this drum check out the link below
http://www.prurgent.com/2016-10-23/pressrelease417360.htm

Mag

Reaction score
Hang drum has a nice sound, touches the soul. Watch this