Happy 4th of July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Happy 4th. to all as we celebrate the greatest country known in all of human history!

Paid for by American drummers everywhere,
I approve this message! ;)

THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL POST, I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL POST!!
Why the need to be the greatest?
Greatest at what I ask ???
I’m sure there are other awesome country’s too .

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why the need to be the greatest?
Greatest at what I ask ???
I’m sure there are other awesome country’s too .
You are absolutely right and luckily I've had the opportunity because of my career to travel to many of them + I was born and raised in South Florida which is a mega melting pot of different cultures. My post was based on national pride and not to shun other great countries. Your hearing this from a guy (me) that was born here in the USA from two immigrant parents that came in refuge from communism. And you must have not seen my post congratulating Canadians 3 days ago on their national day! If I would have read on the Canadian thread anyone saying "the greatest country ever", I would have not questioned it because it was their day to express what they feel. But of course, someone always exists to question, misinterpret and make an issue out of what's written! Every country has their day for their citizens to express the love and pride that they feel and 4th. of July was our day! Sorry if I was too strong on expressing what I feel.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You are absolutely right and luckily I've had the opportunity because of my career to travel to many of them + I was born and raised in South Florida which is a mega melting pot of different cultures. My post was based on national pride and not to shun other great countries. Your hearing this from a guy (me) that was born here in the USA from two immigrant parents that came in refuge from communism. And you must have not seen my post congratulating Canadians 3 days ago on their national day! If I would have read on the Canadian thread anyone saying "the greatest country ever", I would have not questioned it because it was their day to express what they feel. But of course, someone always exists to question, misinterpret and make an issue out of what's written! Every country has their day for their citizens to express the love and pride that they feel and 4th. of July was our day! Sorry if I was too strong on expressing what I feel.
Misinterpreted “ greatest “ ? I don’t know , it seems to me that means greatest ....

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Misinterpreted “ greatest “ ? I don’t know , it seems to me that means greatest ....
Yes misinterpreted because it was simply written as a figure of speech (not literal) and showing personal emotion. But let's just leave it at that. These back and forths lead nowhere and are just plain exhausting! It's already July 5th anyways!

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Happy belated birthday USA! We just had ours 3 days ago and I agree, 2 of the greatest nations on earth right here in our big corner of the world. I just hope it doesn’t take long to open the borders. I’m quite happy up here, but knowing that I just can’t drive over right now feels like there’s something missing. Can’t wait to regularly visit again.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Had a great 4th of July except for the following. Left the house 5:00 am Friday morning for a 2 1/2 hour drive for my 17U sons baseball tournament. It is now almost 9:30 pm Sunday night and we are close to winning it all. This is after winning 7 games in 95 plus degrees weather. I am encouraging my son and his team mates to give there trophies or medals to the teams that were 0-4 there first four games and did not even make it into the actual tournament. Every body is a winner. It does not matter how hard you work or how much you win. You just need to participate and everything should just be given to you.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like this explanation and appreciate it.

In fact, prior to reading it, I found myself thinking that if a guy said "my wife is the greatest woman in the world" I wouldn't take offense. I wouldn't believe him, but I'd understand that he's only expressing a personal sentiment and not insulting my wife. It's probably similar for extreme patriotic expressions.

Though it does get tricky when it comes to countries, since calling one the greatest does imply that all others aren't as good. How about next year leaving it at "great country" rather than the "greatest country known in all of human history"? It's more polite, which you seem to want to be too.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like this explanation and appreciate it.

In fact, prior to reading it, I found myself thinking that if a guy said "my wife is the greatest woman in the world" I wouldn't take offense. I wouldn't believe him, but I'd understand that he's only expressing a personal sentiment and not insulting my wife. It's probably similar for extreme patriotic expressions.

Though it does get tricky when it comes to countries, since calling one the greatest does imply that all others aren't as good. How about next year leaving it at "great country" rather than the "greatest country known in all of human history"? It's more polite, which you seem to want to be too.
I've edited my original post since we do have an international community here. I'm not going to wait till next year. I don't want anyone to feel like my comment (emotion) is above what they feel. You are correct and I will be polite as I usually am. Now, in regards to my wife, I would never edit that she's "the greatest woman in the world", LOL!

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Now, in regards to my wife, I would never edit that she's "the greatest woman in the world", LOL!
No problem, I'm fine with having the second best....is there a top ten list somewhere?

Hope everyone had a fun safe 4th...we shot off a bunch of fireworks, we are in a subdivision that's outside city limits so somehow they are legal, we did one fountain that got a little wild and I had to stomp out a hot spot on the neighbor's grass (hopefully they didn't notice) We had a ton going of in the neighborhood was like everyone had enough of being in and had nowhere to go and spent their money all on fireworks. It was fun and only one fire between the two neighborhoods and it was a small grass fire that the fire dept quickly put out.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How is it the greatest country in the world if the current president’s slogan is Make America Great Again!? Lol Just kidding, no politics here..
I have lived in Asia, Europe, and in the USA. Every country has its good and bad and trust me the USA is not the greatest country in the world (There is no greatest unless you go by size) but it is a great place to live if you make money, if you don’t make money it’s the worst lol. There are many problems here that people don’t have in other countries and vice versa, but one thing that is really good in the US is that if you work hard for anything it USUALLY pays off...this is not the case in a lot of countries and it is something to appreciate, I definitely appreciate it. I understand how lrod1707 expressed his feeling of pride in his sentence and there is no problem with that, good to be proud of your country, I am proud of my country too!

Last edited:

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When someone writes "the greatest", unless you know where the person is coming from it is hard not to take it as face value.

I'm proud of my country when there is something to be proud of.

I like Doug Stanhope & the Great Bill Hicks take on nationalism & patriotism.

Status
Not open for further replies.