Happy 75th B-Day to Bob Marley!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Huge reggae fan and definitely a Bob follower. Although I recorded an album with a reggae band 20 years ago (wow!), I actually played bass because I sucked at reggae drumming and they had a killer white dude that was funny, soulful and and killed beats on the 3......so many good times and positive vibrations with Bob's music to thia day....RIP.

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds"....Bob

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
According to Author John Potash in his book “Drugs as Weapons Against Us”, expounding on previous work by investigative Journalist Gary Webb of Iran-Contra fame; after Marley was attacked by CIA backed Jamaican Labour Party paramilitary force the “Shower Posse” shooting him in both the chest and arm in 1976, he was moved to a secluded mountain encampment for his own protection.

Marley was scheduled to perform at a concert several days later and armed government soldiers loyal to sitting Prime Minister Michael Manley as well as Rastas patrolled this encampment.

A US camera crew was in Jamaica to film the concert. One of the cameramen was Carl Colby, son of infamous CIA director Willian Colby. Colby was head of the Agencies Vietnam pacification program “Phoenix” prior to becoming head of the agency.

According to those present Carl Colby presented Marley a gift of a pair of cowboy boots that he brought from the States, as is the custom of Rastafarians receiving a gift Marley tried the boots on. He immediately cried out in pain and removed his foot from the boot to find a length of wire embedded in the toe box.

Several months later Marley broke that same toe while playing soccer, when the bone would not mend doctors found that it was riddled with cancer.

Despite the efforts of some of the worlds best Oncologists the cancer eventually metastasized, spreading to Marley’s brains, lungs and liver.

Last edited:

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Huge reggae fan and definitely a Bob follower. Although I recorded an album with a reggae band 20 years ago (wow!), I actually played bass because I sucked at reggae drumming and they had a killer white dude that was funny, soulful and and killed beats on the 3......so many good times and positive vibrations with Bob's music to thia day....RIP.

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds"....Bob
Reggae is a weird genre for me. I LOVE BOB MARLEY!!! Love his music. I have as many live shows that I can find (which really isn't that many), but plenty to satisfy. However, with that said, I can't really find many other artists that I actually enjoy listening to. Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff--great artists. . .but I just don't like their stuff NEARLY AS MUCH, as I do Bob's.

I like Damian Marley's music, a bit different though.

jsp210

Reaction score
However, with that said, I can't really find many other artists that I actually enjoy listening to. Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff--great artists. . .but I just don't like their stuff NEARLY AS MUCH, as I do Bob's.
5 Essentials albums to check out:
Culture - Two Sevens Clash
The Abyssinians - Satta Massagana
Jacob Miller - Who Say Jah No Dread
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man
Yabby You - Jesus Dread

Plenty more where that came from.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yabby You - Jesus Dread

Hey Thanks! I'll definitely check them out. :thumbup:

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yabby You - Jesus Dread

It would be wise for people to also check out Bob Marley's favorite reggae band:
STEEL PULSE
Start with "Smash Hits"

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love reggae music. Picked up a brass timbale from a member here recently because I was working on some Christafari tunes.

I’m the outlier ... again.

I have never been a fan of his music. He had great potential but he let his anger get in his way. He did some beautiful tunes when he wasn’t singing about things that ticked him off. Really good stuff. His band was phenomenal. There’s a musician local here that I’ve done some sessions and quite a few gigs with that played keys for Bob during a piece of a tour. Great bass/key player. We just never shared the Bob appreciation.

But ... Happy Birthday, Bob. Sorry. All I got you was this hand typed card of sorts. Hope you’re smiling more these days.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
According to Author John Potash in his book “Drugs as Weapons Against Us”, expounding on previous work by investigative Journalist Gary Webb of Iran-Contra fame; after Marley was attacked by CIA backed Jamaican Labour Party paramilitary force the “Shower Posse” shooting him in both the chest and arm in 1976, he was moved to a secluded mountain encampment for his own protection.

Marley was scheduled to perform at a concert several days later and armed government soldiers loyal to sitting Prime Minister Michael Manley as well as Rastas patrolled this encampment.

A US camera crew was in Jamaica to film the concert. One of the cameramen was Carl Colby, son of infamous CIA director Willian Colby. Colby was head of the Agencies Vietnam pacification program “Phoenix” prior to becoming head of the agency.

According to those present Carl Colby presented Marley a gift of a pair of cowboy boots that he brought from the States, as is the custom of Rastafarians receiving a gift Marley tried the boots on. He immediately cried out in pain and removed his foot from the boot to find a length of wire embedded in the toe box.

Several months later Marley broke that same toe while playing soccer, when the bone would not mend doctors found that it was riddled with cancer.

Despite the efforts of some of the worlds best Oncologists the cancer eventually metastasized, spreading to Marley’s brains, lungs and liver.
Of course, the competing conspiracy theory is that a person known for smoking prodigious amounts of ganga developed cancer and did not wish to participate in the medical industry's traditional treatment. 'Course, it'd probably be easier for a shadowy intelligence agency to supply tainted herb than to give cowboy boots to a Rasta -- not a group traditionally associated with western footwear -- but I like your story better.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
But big toe cancer? Surely that is an odd location for cancer to establish itself.

The only thing more tiresome than a person who believes that every thing is a conspiracy is one who thinks that none have never existed.
I'm not saying skin cancer on his big toe clears the intelligence community of the cancer boots conspiracy, I'm saying skin cancer is a more likely explanation.

Last edited:

Latest posts