Happy Bday John Coltrane!

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
WKCR is playing/streaming 24 hours of his music (til midnight today). There's a lot of great drummers that he played with, from Blakey to Rashied Ali; Tootie Heath to Elvin. Happy listening!

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cool! Love John Coltrane... His music was pretty much the first acoustic jazz that I got into. Before that I liked a bit of fusion stuff, but nothing like the kind of stuff that Coltrane palyed. He was my window into all of that stuff... Monk, Miles, Mingus, Ornette...

As a teenager in the early 80s my taste ran to 60s era psychedelic rock... stuff like the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplance. I had a book that was Rolling Stone interviews with all kinds of folks from that era. They all seem to namedrop Coltrane as a big influence so I had to check that stuff out. I realized that my parents, even though they didn't have too great a record collection, they did have this 3 record box set thing of older jazz stuff called Birdland. I happened to notice that it had the John Coltrane Quartet on it, on a full side of one of the LPs. The group on there was a lesser well known one with Billy Higgins on the drums and still some of my favorite Coltrane... as great as the stuff with Elvin, in my opinion.