Hard to find color or rap.

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
I have a Sling set 50n Blacrome set just curious if you would say this is a hard to find color. All brands of drums. What color would you say is harder to find? I do see lots of variations in color as I look into catalogs. Any thoughts.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oyster Pink and Citrus Mod are really rare, peacock sparkle is another one. There are others, most were slow sellers that were discontinued after a short while and that is why there are so few. Some of these have attained collectibility in recent years due to their rarity and changing tastes deciding they are cool after all. Other oddball wraps are just that with no particular fan base to boost their value.

Blackchrome seems to have been a reasonably decent seller, at least for a while. Not impossible to find but not common either. That was actual plated sheet steel wrapped around the shell and, while it doesn't seem to be available from drum wrap suppliers these days, it might be available from some company that creates decorative metals.

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
Oyster Pink and Citrus Mod are really rare, peacock sparkle is another one. There are others, most were slow sellers that were discontinued after a short while and that is why there are so few. Some of these have attained collectibility in recent years due to their rarity and changing tastes deciding they are cool after all. Other oddball wraps are just that with no particular fan base to boost their value.

Blackchrome seems to have been a reasonably decent seller, at least for a while. Not impossible to find but not common either. That was actual plated sheet steel wrapped around the shell and, while it doesn't seem to be available from drum wrap suppliers these days, it might be available from some company that creates decorative metals.
Thanks K.O. Still trying to find a 12" tom in that color with no luck for years.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
It seems to me that Slingerland may have made it the toughest for everyone. I'm no Slingerland expert but it seemed like they had quite the array of color choices with some not lasting long. It's pretty cool when you are shopping for a brand new set but certainly makes it tough when one of those cool colors has been discontinued for 50 plus years.

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The rarest color that I've ever seen was on a MIJ Set. It was BDP but with purple mixed in. It wasnt overly purple like the rare Rogers wrap, which is just toooo purple for me. It was SUPER nice. I would have bought the set but the toms were 12 and 14, which are too small for the way I play. looking back, I should have bought them.
i was never able to find that wrap color again. If I do, I will buy them. Heres what they looked like:

Attachments

Last edited:

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Slingerland's "denim" was awesome and rare. They had nice purple sparkle, a white sparkle and several "aztec" cloth finishes too, which are rarely seen. Their 1979-80 rosewood veneer is rare these days, and they even had a "spruce" veneer finish that is so rare, that no one has ever found one, and there is only one known BW picture of one in an advert!

Gretsch had a "Blue Spruce" wood stain finish that is rare and highly desirable.

Apparently, Ludwig's green vistalite was rarely ordered, but it looked fantastic.