Hardware question: L-rod tom mount on Pearl bass drum

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going all the way back to a bass drum tom mount (no drilling involved, have no fear), but it involves combining drums from different brands (oh the humanity!)
I have a Pearl bass drum with the typical 7/8" double bracket and I have two 8" deep Gretsch New Classic toms that use 12.7mm l-rod holders. I'm looking for two holders, or one post with two l-rods, to combine the two.
Gibraltar hardware:
might be too short?
edit: In this video, it looks like the same mount, and seems to work:

Or
might be long enough, but the wingnut off to the side might cause trouble with two of these next to each other?
The one above is from the "ultra-adjust" range - anyone have experience with this type of joint?
Funny video:

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Either would work fine. I'd probably go with the one tensioned from the top. I don't think the Ultra Adjust is going to really give you any major adjustment advantages but as you state you might run into some interference issues. Also the top mounted ones ought to be easier to make fine adjustments on from the throne.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The diameter of the bass drum and the depth of the rack tom, where the tom bracket is vertically on the tom, and the angle you set the tom at are some things to consider. If you can do a mock up first using whatever hardware you have on hand it could save you from getting something too short.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Would another option be to use a Pearl Optimount so you could use the Pearl tom arms?

I have some Pearl toms with optimounts (10" depth). The Gretsch mount on the toms is "very" integrated in that it mounts to the lugs more permanently than the optimount. I could maybe mount a Pearl tom bracket to the Gretsch mount, but I actually prefer the l-rod system.

Good point about mocking it up - I have one l-rod tom mount with a short 7/" tube, the one that came with one of the Gretsch toms. I'll mount this to the tom and estimate the additional length of tubing needed to insert it into the bd bracket.
The BALRL part looks like it has quite a long l-rod, that could make up for a shorter tube, but then again this might lead to the toms protruding on the player's side of the bd too much... I'll try it out.

The bass drum is 22x14, the toms are 10x8 and 12x8. Here's a catalog pic of a similar kit with 12x8 and 13x9 toms. I don't think I would want the toms that high, I'm fine as long as they're somehwat angled without touching the bd.

Attachments

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hadn't seen the new hardware and I find it very intriguing. Great post!!!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Might I suggest a third option...

I've had the top adjusted version (the one I said I'd pick in my earlier post) fail on me more than once. Eventually the stress of the bolt pushing down on the ball will cause the top dome casting of the holder to give out. The top breaks off like part of a cracked egg. Obviously the holder is no longer functional at this point. The two times that this has happened to me were on holders I bought used so I have no idea how they were treated before I got them as to how often they were adjusted and how firmly they may have been tightened, perhaps beyond the point necessary to hold a tom firmly in position. So I can't say that they will all fail, only that it is a possibility (which, I suppose, under the right circumstances, applies to any tom holder you can buy). I have a couple of others of that same design that are still functioning fine but when it came to replacing the broken ones I opted for the design linked above and they work just as well but the stress is distributed differently.

If it were me I'd likely replace the Gretsch brackets with INDe mounts (BR2XL will fit the same 2 holes as a Gretsch bracket) but that's just me. One nice thing about the INDe (besides the isolation feature) is that it will work with any of the three standard rod diameters and also the actual gripping point is only about a half inch wide so you have a lot more options as to where you can place the mount on the rod, allowing you to gain more height if necessary. IMO it also will improve the sound of your toms but they do run $50 each so it's not an inexpensive option. If you have the newer style Gretsch brackets this might not be an issue anyway but on the older style with the internal eyebolt to hold the tom the rod needs to protrude through the whole casing which is about a 4 inch throw and a limitation as to how high on the actual rod you can place the drum.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks had not seen that new ultra adjust stuff. Neat stuff for the toms, I think that's a good idea for what you appear to want.
But can the ultra adjust be any more complicated for cymbals and hihat? Would one want to reach and adjust 2 ball mounts just to simply slide your hihats back or up a bit while playing? The hihat pedal/stand is rendered useless without the adjoining ball mount. Too complicated for me.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Might I suggest a third option...
Thanks, that's the one that came with the tom. Too short I think. I hope the metal won't fatigue on me on the BALRL, ordered two of these today :)
The New Classic toms are already isolated well, no need to change them imo.
I know what you mean, there are some pretty large Gretsch brackets. The ones here are smaller, they can mount pretty high up on the l-rod.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't speak to the ultra adjust, but I hve been using the other two Gibraltar models on several of my bass drums with the Pearl twin receiver for over a decade now and have never had any problems with them. Normally I use just one tom and use the other receiver for either a ride cymbal or a cowbell. When I do mount two toms, I use the clam version tom mounts, but I have to set them so that the side from which the L arm protrudes is facing towards me; otherwise there's no enough space between the two tom receivers. Luckily because the ball is infinitely adjustable, I can rotate the tom receiver around the L arm to get the toms where I want them. If you look closely at the attached photos (especially if you blow them up), you might be able to see what I'm talking about. Hope this helps.

IMG_1190.JPG

2018-05-25-Romilos002.JPG

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
... because the ball is infinitely adjustable, I can rotate the tom receiver around the L arm to get the toms where I want them. If you look closely at the attached photos (especially if you blow them up), you might be able to see what I'm talking about. Hope this helps.
I have to say in the first pic I don't recognize anything :D Second one is clearer. I think I'll have to move the l-rod and the toms on the L-rod around quite a bit until both toms are in the desired position.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the first photo is a bit busy with the cowbell getting in the way and all the sax plumbing cluttering up things even more. If you look just above the right top corner of the cowbell, you'll see the Gibraltar clamshell tom mount with its L-rod supporting the timbale on the right via the drum's mounting bracket, which sticks up between the 2nd and 3rd sax.

Here are 2 more pix that show the usage of the ball/top wing nut type holder. I deliberately spread the two toms apart and set them to different heights because I wanted the second one to be as close to a floor tom position as possible so I could keep my ride cymbal low. The beauty of the L-arm is that you can rotate your tom around it independently of where the arm itself is located and it also allows you to position the drum vertically up and down the arm to get the top of the toms level to one another even when the ball caps themselves are at different heights.

2018-04-27-Romilos002.JPG

2018-04-27-Romilos004.JPG

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here are 2 more pix that show the usage of the ball/top wing nut type holder. I deliberately spread the two toms apart and set them to different heights
I guess I'll soon find out for myself - it looks as if two of those ball clamps in the same Pearl double bracket might have to be at different heights? As you point out, one can still have the toms at the same height, but this would be a slight (aesthetic) bummer.

Latest posts