Hardware weights spreadsheet

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just ran across this thread.
V-e-r-y i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g.
Makes me want to obsessively seek out the lightest item in each category and sell off all of my old hardware, which currently is primarily vintage Ludwig flat base stands and Yamaha 600 series hardware. I'll think about it. Is there such a thing as a vintage lightweight Ludwig boom stand comparable to the flat base straight stand series? I've never seen one. The closest I've ever found is cheap vintage Japanese stands.My bottom line, though, is that the stand will not break under normal use.

There are two categories that are missing that need some data:
1-Bass drum pedal
2-double tom holder [floor stand model]

Stretch

(Kb)

Reaction score
Love this thread.... keeping things alive:

Yamaha S740 Snare Stand (newest version) - 5.7lbs

Premier Late 60's Model 289 Flat Base Hi Hat - 4.9lbs
Tama HH75 Single-Braced Lever Glide Hi Hat - 7.75lbs

Sonor SP273 Pedal (no base plate) - 3.25lbs
Pearl Demon Direct Drive Single Pedal - 4.6lbs

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
All my stuff is lightweight, except for the Gibraltar throne base for my drum seat. The thing weighs a frigging ton. But I can't use cheapo, lightweight thrones because of my lower back issues.

Some genius needs to invent a throne base made from some lightweight metal that will still be stable. Even plastic or carbon fiber would be OK.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here are some of mine that can be edited into the main list:

Snare:
Buck Rogers=4.5 lbs.
Percussion Plus=3.18 lbs.

Hihat:
Rogers Swivomatic=4.5 lbs.
Grestch 4845=4.0 lbs.

Throne:
Pork Pie Moto/Big Boy=13.96 lbs.
RocNSoc Hydraulic=14.5 lbs.
Yamaha Round #QK1=10.4 lbs.

Cymbal:
Stewart (Japanese) straight=1.9 lbs.

And a new category...Single Kick Pedal:
Trick Pro1-V Bigfoot=5.5 lbs.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
I LOVE this thread. Will add some weights. Also want to say that my hardware bag is quite heavy! I have a Pearl Eliminator pedal, which I'd like to eliminate! Great pedal, but too heavy. Thinking of a DW or a Tama DW. I need a bag on wheels which is still lightweight. There's a German brand whose name escapes me, but a lot of stuff you guys have is not available here. When you say Atlas - these are new?

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Spreadsheet updated-- thanks for the new submissions guys. Good idea to add pedals to this.

troutstudio-- the Atlas stuff is the new re-issue Atlas unless stated otherwise (70's Atlas)...

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the stores to have all 3 of the new DW Ultra Light stands in stock--cymbal, snare, and hi hat. It's confusing, because a lot of stores are still selling the older models. I looked at a web site today, and they were saying Nov. 15 is the release date for the new hi hat.

Lightening up is where it's at! :occasion5:

r.fryoux

Reaction score
DW9710 Straight Stand = 10 pounds, 6.5 ounces
DW9710 With DWSM991 Tom Holder = 12 pounds, 9.5 ounces
DW9700 Boom Stand with 912s Short Boom Arms = 12 pounds, 3 ounces
DW9300 Snare Stand = 10 pounds, 14 oounces
DW5500TD Hi-Hat Stand = 11 pounds, 7.5 ounces

DW6710 Straight Stand = 5 pounds, 5 ounces
DW6700 Boom Stand = 5 pounds, 12 ounces
DW6300 Snare Stand = 5 pounds, 14 ounces
DW6500 Hi-Hat Stand = 6 pounds, 13.5 ounces

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
gwbasley said:
Why not make it a sticky thread that Hefty can update from time to time as more data comes in!
I second this! :)

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
r.fryoux said:
DW9710 Straight Stand = 10 pounds, 6.5 ounces
DW9710 With DWSM991 Tom Holder = 12 pounds, 9.5 ounces
DW9700 Boom Stand with 912s Short Boom Arms = 12 pounds, 3 ounces
DW9300 Snare Stand = 10 pounds, 14 oounces
DW5500TD Hi-Hat Stand = 11 pounds, 7.5 ounces

DW6710 Straight Stand = 5 pounds, 5 ounces
DW6700 Boom Stand = 5 pounds, 12 ounces
DW6300 Snare Stand = 5 pounds, 14 ounces
DW6500 Hi-Hat Stand = 6 pounds, 13.5 ounces
Thanks r.fryoux! Updated the spreadsheet (first post in this thread). Crazy to see some of the heavy stuff added and compare with the ultra light stuff...

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Tama gear, some Pearl gear, a little Mapex stuff and some Gibraltar as well. Its all the heavy duty gear, too. Those Tama Titan Stilt stands are 14+lbs with the counterweights on them. I should bring down a scale and get some weights just for laughs. Fortunately, I dont travel with this gear, so the weight isn't a big deal to me.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
All my stuff is lightweight, except for the Gibraltar throne base for my drum seat. The thing weighs a frigging ton. But I can't use cheapo, lightweight thrones because of my lower back issues.

Some genius needs to invent a throne base made from some lightweight metal that will still be stable. Even plastic or carbon fiber would be OK.
I modified my Gibraltar base by replacing the legs with aluminum stock from Home Depot. I also removed an unneeded portion of the screw. The base is now about 7 lbs. lighter with no compromise to the stability.Lightweight Throne Base.jpg

dave.robertson

Reaction score
gwbasley said:

I modified my Gibraltar base by replacing the legs with aluminum stock from Home Depot. I also removed an unneeded portion of the screw. The base is now about 7 lbs. lighter with no compromise to the stability.
Lightweight Throne Base.jpg
Brilliant!

Thank you, gwbasley.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have been using a Pearl multi clamp off of my bass drum tom mount and a short boom cymbal arm for my ride cymbal. Decided to see if I was seeing any weight saving...

Ludwig 1400 cymbal stand 3 lb 7.5 oz
Pearl multi clamp with Gibraltar short boom arm 2 lb 6 oz

Attachments

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
Indeed brilliant, GW! Please post details about how you did this.
This from a previous post:

backtodrum, on 19 Oct 2015 - 3:21 PM, said:
backtodrum said:
Drill out the rivets with a drill press and reinstall them with Stainless steel pop rivets is one solution. to replace the actual factory type rivets might be a problem because they are machine pressed in. I concur with what's been said before, just change the bases if the tube diameters are the same.
I cut the weight of my throne base in half. I used shoulder bolts which I cut and peened and stainless steel pop rivets on the bottom. I used aluminum stock bars from Home Depot and just copied the chromed steel parts that I removed. It is totally sturdy and I'm planning to do all of my other stands the same way.

Attached Thumbnails

Unfortunately I've lost all of the pics of this project, which would have been helpful, but it was mostly just copying the old parts and using them as a drilling template. The bends were done using a bench vice and a "dead blow" mallet to pursuade.

I used 1/4" X 1" stock from Home Depot, but probably could have gotten by with 3/16" since I had to relieve the bars at the ends to fit into the slots of the castings. That would have saved a little work but not sure if the weight difference would be perceptible.

Another big weight saver was by cutting off the unused section of the screw/seat post away...that chunk weighed several pounds alone!

I had plans to do this to all my hardware but I switched to 3/4" Dixon 9270 double braced light weight cymbal stands instead....I may still do the HiHat.

PM me before you get started and I'll take some close ups of all the details.

George

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If anyone has some of the single braced Tama Stagemaster stands or the new Roadpro Lights, I'd very much like to know the weights of those.

712drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I no longer have them but used to have the single braced Stagemaster convertable boom cymbal stands. The weight was very close to Yamaha 700 series convertable booms that I had. I thought the Yamaha were better though.

Latest posts