Harold Jones - Amazing Drummer

Chayro

Reaction score
Harold Jones is one of my favorite drummers, partially because I got to set up his drums and stand 3 feet behind him in about 1972 maybe? His left hand on the snare would make your eyes tear and he had this way of snapping his head to the left when he hit a snare shot that looked incredible. Check out this cut with Basie that shows his perfect time and swing and tremendous traditional-grip power that would make Stewart Copeland give it all up. (Not really) Also, no matter how loud he plays, the time never sags and never rushes when he plays fast fills. He plays perfect. Nothing else to say.

jansara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, did Harold drive Basie's band. Saw him a few times, he was off the hook. Superb big band drummer and soloist. Listening to this clip I'm reminded of how much Freddie Green's superb rhythm guitar work drove the rhythm section. He was with Basie for almost 50 years.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
My favorite Basie drummer. The last time I saw the Basie band a young, unknown guy was on drums. I struck up a conversation with one of the trombone players during the halftime intermission and asked if he knew what Harold Jones was doing these days. He said he was currently backing Sarah Vaughan. He went on to say that from his position on the bandstand he had a good view of Harold and would sometimes get so wrapped up in what he was doing that he would lose his place on the chart and not come in when he was supposed to.

Ickybaby

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw him with Tony Bennet in 2019 at the fabulous Rialto in Joliet. He has the greatest touch on his ride cymbals. He had a main, a flat, and a riveted one from what I could tell.
D6871A3F-D925-4A33-A9D4-D3D5EAD66443.jpeg

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
from Steve Maxwell "
The Ludwig 12/14/20 silver sparkle kit used by Harold Jones at the historically significant White House concert during the Kennedy era which marked the first time an integrated band played in the White House. (This kit will eventually go to the National Museum of African American History and Culture):
"

1623348295169.png

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
AE2BAE85-2435-4584-9C66-2581CCC0CD42.jpeg

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check out the live Basie album “Standing Ovation” I’ve listened to it since the mid ‘60s. Hard to find, found some on CD from Japan about 15+ yrs ago and ordered 5 as gifts to friends.
Harold Jones is outstanding!

Phil

Wally Hershey

Reaction score
Harold Jones is one of my favorite drummers, partially because I got to set up his drums and stand 3 feet behind him in about 1972 maybe? His left hand on the snare would make your eyes tear and he had this way of snapping his head to the left when he hit a snare shot that looked incredible. Check out this cut with Basie that shows his perfect time and swing and tremendous traditional-grip power that would make Stewart Copeland give it all up. (Not really) Also, no matter how loud he plays, the time never sags and never rushes when he plays fast fills. He plays perfect. Nothing else to say.

If that doesn't make you happy nothing can. The real deal, awesome

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that doesn't make you happy nothing can. The real deal, awesome
Thanks for posting this sweet clip. I also love the way those Premiers are tuned, they really pop. Was this a European show clip? Wondering if that was a backline kit, or did he play Premier as well as Gretsch?

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score

And his right hand, just snappin' on that ride, leading everything. Yet, it's relaxed.

We could say, "This is why I have a day job."

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it's wonderful that Mr. Jones has continued to have a pretty nice career into his elder years.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw Natalie Cole when she was out doing the "Unforgettable" album. Harold Jones was driving the big band bus behind her.
It don't git any better...