Harsh review of Ari Hoenig

Sprice

Reaction score
Lol, it's funny because he sounds like he's defending Kenny Werner's honor against this attention-hogging drummer bully when these guys have been playing together for 20+ years. If Kenny wasn't happy with Ari's playing I expect he might have brought it up at some point in the last two decades. Honestly, it sounds like he was just in a seat he didn't like getting a bad mix.

Critics. Those who can't do, teach; those who can't teach, become critics.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
It´s a five year old review, from 2016. Not that it matters. Wish I saw that concert though.
Not only that - but the tagline actually says:
Howard Reich is a former Chicago Tribune arts critic.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Guilty as charged. Take a look at this 2015 performance at the Moody Jazz Cafe where a chilly Kenny Werner performs the entire set in a Michelin Man-style puffy coat while an NBA game plays above his head ... Watch Ari Hoenig start wailing away at 8:50 and tell me Reich doesn't have a point.

KENNY WERNER trio @ Moody jazz cafè - "Peace" - 02/02/2015 - YouTube

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guilty as charged. Take a look at this 2015 performance at the Moody Jazz Cafe where a chilly Kenny Werner performs the entire set in a Michelin Man-style puffy coat while an NBA game plays above his head ... Watch Ari Hoenig start wailing away at 8:50 and tell me Reich doesn't have a point.

KENNY WERNER trio @ Moody jazz cafè - "Peace" - 02/02/2015 - YouTube

OK, so personally I don't care for it. But this was pretty obviously a pre-rehearsed orchestration, at least for the feel and dynamic Kenny Werner was looking for. If there's bad taste here, and I don't think there is, it's squarely on Kenny who is presumably getting exactly what he asked for.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously if Ari played traditional, he wouldn't be so heavy handed.

...I'll show myself out.

toddbishop

Reaction score
It's a joke, right? At 8:50 Hoenig's playing quietly with brushes. After 8:10 he plays a dramatic solo break for about 5 seconds. He gets in and out of it very tastefully. The remaining 17 minutes of the tune are extremely tasteful.

About the review, who knows. Maybe it was a weird night. How many thousand gigs have those guys played together, I'd be surprised if he never hung it out there and at least flirted at the edge of bad taste. Or maybe the reviewer is an idiot, maybe he was standing someplace weird, maybe the sound was bad.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I like Ari personally. I know I like some of his friends. (Like the one that helped develop those shaker sticks)
Every time I try and watch Ari he distracts from the other players on stage. If I close eyes it's a bit better because I'm following his patterns.
But really most of the time--to me--- he takes over every phrase like he owns everything going on up there on that stage. Never lets -for long- the others (bass, piano) breathe without coming down with a counter offer constantly.
I can't dig him. Altho I'm sure he's a nice fella

" But this time, through most of the evening's first set, the drummer performed as if he were fronting his own band "

that's the sense I get too like he's 'the leader' all the time -constantly- I find it annoying- altho I know him not personally

you know sometimes the drums "ain't equal" to a piano or a sax and should just accompany/ support/ background it and let "them" speak for 20 seconds or so

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think I like Ari personally. I know I like some of his friends. (Like the one that helped develop those shaker sticks)
Every time I try and watch Ari he distracts from the other players on stage. If I close eyes it's a bit better because I'm following his patterns.
But really most of the time--to me--- he takes over every phrase like he owns everything going on up there on that stage. Never lets -for long- the others (bass, piano) breathe without coming down with a counter offer constantly.
I can't dig him. Altho I'm sure he's a nice fella
the guys a monster player, no doubt; head and shoulders above my sorry pus… but… just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

The funny thing is he is “known” for his overplaying style. That’s who he is love it or hate it. I’m not a fan either to be honest. Like synchronized swimming… you know it’s an incredible feat of skill and physical endurance; but for me…. Pass

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
his Monday night at Smalls is rarely with Kenny
he usually has two or 3 other guys he crushes like putting out a cigarette butt ; )
lol