header.nohb.html

Has A-Custom crash ink design changed over the years?

jasyr

Reaction score
I'm shopping for an old crash & hats. I know in '94 came the laser serials, but sometimes the photos aren't so detailed... & so wondering if 1990's design is the same as later? Has the big A changed size? the turkish lettering to it's left? etc? And when did they start getting heavier? 2000's 2010's?

thanks! :Indianapolis_Colts:
Jasyr

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Others might have photo evidence, but having owned quite a few A Customs over the last 20 years I don't recall a difference in logos. Also, I'm not sure they got heavier in general, but rather the line was expanded to offer heavier models such as Medium and Projection.

2oo2

Reaction score
It looks like there are two different variants, one with and other without the “Arabic” script. Not sure which came first (probably the one with the script). Notice also the “Avedis” next to Zildjian.

EF72A87A-BA5F-4B9E-AC53-6A8D75EAECE0.jpeg

631B612B-631F-4945-BD52-6BF75C32D879.jpeg

Last edited:

jasyr

Reaction score
thanks much 2oo2...
i haven't seen the one w/o the script, but for some reason that looks more 'familar'.

I did some research on my Ping Ride with the Avedis just above Zildjian & found out that was an early 90's addition. I've looked at a lot of on-line photos and didn't notice any w/o the script. But then again, i only put 90's A-Custom in the search engine.

Maybe someone can chime in about what i will now call the, 'plain Custom' ink.

2oo2

Reaction score
FWIW, all A Custom pictures on zildjian.com’s product page show cymbals without the script or Avedis text, so this seems to be the latest variant.

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
My understanding is the A Custom logos were simplified (most noticeably dropping the "Avedis") along with the 2013 relaunch of the A line. Could be wrong but that timeframe seems about right to me.

zenstat

Reaction score
Another hint is that the ® which appears on the later example is not present on the earlier example. The ® is found in 2 places on the top. To the right of the large Script A on the upper portion and to the right of the script ZILDJIAN on the lower portion.

For the A series that ® came in at 1992, two years before laser serial numbers.

The A Custom series may have been having ink changes following the beat of a different drummer. I haven't really got them sorted out yet. I though I could sort out the A series in a year or two and then move on to the rest. Here I am years later and still trying to finish the A series.

jasyr

Reaction score
Alright... now we're getting somewhere!

I have scoured the web for all sorts of background info on cymbals in the last 4 years since i became enamoured with them. When i got interested recently in A-Customs i was surprised there are not nearly as many posts about them. Does Zildjian not sell as many A-Customs as the other lines?

At any rate, it looks like a 20" A-Custom Crash is likely to be in my future. I heard them on youtube & wow, sound great to me... I've had a 10" A-Custom Splash quite a while but that's it, (the rest of my Zildjians are old A's). Strangely, it's reallyonly that 20" crash... the 16"-18"-19" don't do it for me... maybe later they'll grow on me, hell i haven't even heard them in real life.

Another question: would a 20" K-Custom ride fit alright with A-Customs? (i don't like the A-Custom rides i've heard at all.) I haven't got round to comparing audio yet but my first impression is they do. And now if anyone's interested, below is my little story why I'm asking about it.

In 1984, (me the bass player) when we got serious about playing out, took it upon myself to pick out the kit we were piecing together as the drummer was just learning to play... i didn't know much more myself other than Zildjian was the big name with the cool lettering.

Bought: new Zildjian A 16" crash, 17" A Thin Crash, A 10" splash, and oops... Paiste 2oo2 22" Ride. First year we played around a lot, made the 1st L.P. w/ the 2oo2 & then traded that in for a 20" K Custom Ride... MUCH better. I only identified that ride in the last year or so... I remembered the big K on it, the year we purchased it new, & spent time on google image search to arrive at the conclusion it was a Custom. Very distinctive cymbal... Not much lathing compared to later years i discovered, and a beautiful rich mottled color. Crashed pretty good and no klang. When i can afford it and find one close as possible in pitch I'll get another.

When i stumbled onto the 20" A-Custom Crash on-line, it occured to me that the ride we used from '85 'til '90 was a K-Custom & I twigged on the idea of a 20" A-C crash/ 20" K-C ride combination.

Last edited:

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
Alright... now we're getting somewhere!

I have scoured the web for all sorts of background info on cymbals in the last 4 years since i became enamoured with them. When i got interested recently in A-Customs i was surprised there are not nearly as many posts about them. Does Zildjian not sell as many A-Customs as the other lines?

At any rate, it looks like a 20" A-Custom Crash is likely to be in my future. I heard them on youtube & wow, sound great to me... I've had a 10" A-Custom Splash quite a while but that's it, (the rest of my Zildjians are old A's). Strangely, it's reallyonly that 20" crash... the 16"-18"-19" don't do it for me... maybe later they'll grow on me, hell i haven't even heard them in real life.

Another question: would a 20" K-Custom ride fit alright with A-Customs? (i don't like the A-Custom rides i've heard at all.) I haven't got round to comparing audio yet but my first impression is they do. And now if anyone's interested, below is my little story why I'm asking about it.

In 1984, (me the bass player) when we got serious about playing out, took it upon myself to pick out the kit we were piecing together as the drummer was just learning to play... i didn't know much more myself other than Zildjian was the big name with the cool lettering.

Bought: new Zildjian A 16" crash, 17" A Thin Crash, A 10" splash, and oops... Paiste 2oo2 22" Ride. First year we played around a lot, made the 1st L.P. w/ the 2oo2 & then traded that in for a 20" K Custom Ride... MUCH better. I only identified that ride in the last year or so... I remembered the big K on it, the year we purchased it new, & spent time on google image search to arrive at the conclusion it was a Custom. Very distinctive cymbal... Not much lathing compared to later years i discovered, and a beautiful rich mottled color. Crashed pretty good and no klang. When i can afford it and find one close as possible in pitch I'll get another.

When i stumbled onto the 20" A-Custom Crash on-line, it occured to me that the ride we used from '85 'til '90 was a K-Custom & I twigged on the idea of a 20" A-C crash/ 20" K-C ride combination.
I think the real world popularity of the A Custom line is considerably higher than its popularity on this forum. For whatever reason!

I think the crashes are clearly the best of the A Customs, and having owned 16-17-18-19" versions I can say the 17" is by far my favourite.

I like matching sets but do understand the wish to pair these crashes with other things. My current go-to setup for mid-volume gigs is two A Custom crashes with New Beats and an A Ping ride. I like this combo a lot.

IIRC the K Custom ride is quite heavy/strong and pingy and my gut says it might overpower the A Custom crashes, which are thin/lightweight and very clean/clear sounding. K or A crashes which have a bit more character and oomph might stand up better. But as always you should try these things for yourself (in store without having to buy them first, if at all possible) and see what sounds/feels right for you. It might be a cracking combo.

Good luck.

jasyr

Reaction score
so Alien... is there a reason you haven't had the 20" Custom crash as well?

Also interesting you mentioned a Ping w/ Customs... i like the heavy ride 20" HH Sabian that I bought to replace an Avedis Zildjian Ping Ride... its ping fit better w/ the cymbals i already had. & I imagined the Custom would go okay with it.

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
so Alien... is there a reason you haven't had the 20" Custom crash as well?

Also interesting you mentioned a Ping w/ Customs... i like the heavy ride 20" HH Sabian that I bought to replace an Avedis Zildjian Ping Ride... its ping fit better w/ the cymbals i already had. & I imagined the Custom would go okay with it.
No real reason re the 20" crash, I just never went that big! But I know a lot of ppl do nowadays, and maybe I will one day. For now my happy zone is between 17 and 19.

I also have sets of As and Ks for different playing contexts, so I've scaled back my A Custom collection a bit.

Yeah I reckon that 20" HH ride would go well with those crashes. Enjoy! And keep trying stuff. Loads and loads of good cymbals out there, and everyone's ears are different.

jasyr

Reaction score
17" is nice & have 3 that I favor, for whatever reason. Already guessed that I'd look to a 17" after I find the perfect A-Custom 20"

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My usual setup consists of 18 and 20" A Custom crashes, but I also have a 16. In the past I've had 17 and 18" AC Fast Crashes for lower volume stuff, but they spoke too quickly for my taste and I find that the regular crashes hit that sweet spot of short decay without sounding "thin."